Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems after upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mojave

I switched from PC to a Mac with a late 2012 Mini running Mountain Lion.

It's been great and I've continued with Mountain Lion until now. In addition I had added a separate partition for Windows 7 as I had several Windows-only games.

I used an old PC HDD for back-ups using Time Machine which always worked fine.

Recently, however, I'd been finding that my Browsers were not up to handling some sites I use regularly and so I made the decision to upgrade my OS.

What I did was create another partition and installed High Sierra on this in order to test it with my Mini.

High Sierra worked fine BUT what I noticed, when making my booting choice, was that, although I was offered both Mountain Lion and High Sierra (along with their relative Recovery partitions), my Windows 7 was not offered as a boot choice.

I didn't worry to much about this at that stage as my main focus was High Sierra.

Ok, next, I decided to go ahead and upgrade my Mountain Lion to High Sierra. However, by the time I got around to this, High Sierra was no longer available and I was simply offered Mojave.

I took the view that, if High Sierra was ok, Mojave ought to be good too and so I went ahead and upgraded; having first made a Time Machine backup. Having done that I then deleted the High Sierra partition; probably a mistake!

The first ominous thing I noticed next was that, when I made my boot choice, hoping that my Windows option would re-appear, it did not.

Not only did I NOT have an option to boot Windows 7, there was NO Mojave recovery partition mentioned either.

I wasn't too worried by this but, when I tried to continue working on my latest music recording, I discovered that my Audio Interface's drivers would not be updated for Mojave for a while.

As you can imagine, I investigated options for downgrading to High Sierra or even Mountain Lion. Firstly I tried recovering my old OS from my Time Machine backup. Unfortunately it informed me that it couldn't find an OS.

So, I'm wondering what is the best thing to do.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 2:07 AM

Bummer, that ***** , try again ? I do recommend getting Winclone Pro to easily backup/restore your bootcamp if this happens. Are you on Mountain Lion ? Or Are you doing a clean format and install to High Sierra ?

It seems to be that I have been doing the best thing by keeping OS that came with computer on main drive with bootcamp, and use an updated version of macOS on an external drive... it has miraculously removed my headaches.

I recommend use another computer, or boot up with an OSX on an external drive...and then backup bootcamp with Winclone Pro before doing anything else.... I am sorry that Mojave has put you through all this nonsense and unnecessary computer diddeling.

Here is a thread about

"This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable "

i am sorry you are experiencing this nightmare.. I do recommend backing up your bootcamp before doing anything else.

(P.S if you dont have a windows 7 install + license find one, cant post more about that due to copyright circus and its circus clowns, but first ask Microsoft.. and if that does not go well, perhaps from friends/people you know IRL they might have spare unused copies lying around)

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2018 2:07 AM in response to Mike Floutier

Bummer, that ***** , try again ? I do recommend getting Winclone Pro to easily backup/restore your bootcamp if this happens. Are you on Mountain Lion ? Or Are you doing a clean format and install to High Sierra ?

It seems to be that I have been doing the best thing by keeping OS that came with computer on main drive with bootcamp, and use an updated version of macOS on an external drive... it has miraculously removed my headaches.

I recommend use another computer, or boot up with an OSX on an external drive...and then backup bootcamp with Winclone Pro before doing anything else.... I am sorry that Mojave has put you through all this nonsense and unnecessary computer diddeling.

Here is a thread about

"This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable "

i am sorry you are experiencing this nightmare.. I do recommend backing up your bootcamp before doing anything else.

(P.S if you dont have a windows 7 install + license find one, cant post more about that due to copyright circus and its circus clowns, but first ask Microsoft.. and if that does not go well, perhaps from friends/people you know IRL they might have spare unused copies lying around)

Oct 16, 2018 5:25 AM in response to Mike Floutier

Ok, yes there has been time Machine Restore issues with Majove (Apple has a lot of debugging to do with Majove and drives, as everything else works ok in it)

Since Tascamworks in High Sierra , High Sierra is probably your best bet (you could have remained on OSX Mountain Lion and install and boot off an external drive with Sierra for websites and stuff)

Now looking for a place to download High Sierra How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

No. 4 Is Download macOS High Sierra.. ignore the Mojave bit and go here

(If you still need macOS High Sierra, use this App Store link: Get macOS High Sierra.)

get it before it disappears, as Mojave is being recommended.. and it is a matter of time as Mojave gets all the bugs ironed out the High Sierra download option would gradually disappear.

I hope this helps.

^_^

Oct 16, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Mike Floutier

Ah Apple,. why do they have to make things complicated.

I did some searching, try this link

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

Yep you would have to erase/reformat Mojave off and install High Sierra , install that on, and then use your time machine backup ... [or you can install mountain lion, restore time machine, and then upgrade to high Sierra (not to 100% sure about this one, but worth a try but is the best in restoring and then getting updated.)] , the most likely one that would work is reformatting, installing High Siera and get restore Data from Time machine, most likely be an import restore rather than a full restore as if you would with Mountain Lion.

If I can remember I had a Sierra install file stashed away offline, and managed to upgrade by clicking in in Mavericks, so thereticly the best way to retain all your stuff, is to install Mountain Lion, and do Time Machine Backup, and then run the High Sierra installed, make sure you set drive in options to HFS+ instead of APFD (as Apple still needs to do a lot of work on their new file format, to have less issues.)

Oct 12, 2018 4:13 AM in response to Mike Floutier

Ok, I'm now using the Internet Recovery tool - Shift-Cmd-Alt-R - to re-install mountain Lion (the os my mini shipped with).

I get so far but when it asks me to select a partition to install it there is only my BootCamp partition showing; not my Mojave partition OR the new, empty, partition, I just created for the purpose of housing this new re-installation of Mountain Lion.

Any ideas?

Oct 12, 2018 5:31 AM in response to Mike Floutier

Looks like you experienced the drop/disappearing partition like I did when I installed Mojave on an external drive. This is because of the new format system, APFS, and Apple handling it poorly when introducing it for used Macs with previous OS's and those who dual-boot. I would suggest to create a bootable USB Mojave drive (with restore partition), and then use disk utility in that to first aid the drive, and your Mojave partition would re-appear and become readable, and your mac will become bootable again, but the restore partition built in might have also been dropped, and would remain a grey spot.

Did you make a time Machine before backup ? Always backup with Time machine before updating, adding partitions or using operating systems on external drives for the first time, just as a precaution. You will feel more confident and safe that your data/work/software etc is safe even when all **** brakes loos.

If you did, you can reformat drive, reinstall Mountain Lion, and restore your time machine contents back. and decide if you wish to upgrade that to High Sierra (if you want to be up to date with most stable updated version of macOS) instead...(unless you are like me with GUI usability issues) stay on Mountain Lion and have Mojave installed on an external SSD you plug in USB. Also note you wont be able to read APFS Mojave drive from Mountain Lion

(hoping someone makes a third party driver to read from all previous versions of macOS)

Install Mojave on an external drive if you really need to use Mojave (i think you do for an updated Safari and iTunes to synch with iOS11/12 devices) if you wish to keep your main drive safe for the time being. Don't switch boot in startup disk in system preferences, else you would have the same loosing a partition experience again.

Power machine off, stick in drive with Mojave on,turn on and then Boot by pressing alt to load boot selection menu(if you have a firmware password, enter it first before getting boot selection menu), and select your Mojave drive that way and to get into Bootcamp.. system preference start up disk selection would cause issues of the Mojave partition vanishing again, with the need to run first-aid on disk utility again.

Or you can stay with Mojave with the drive you first aided using the Majove startup disk you created , and keep it handy, also note you wont be able to read your Mojave drive from bootcamp without third party drivers that you are forced to pay for , because apple did not make a read driver when making APFS mandatory with the Mojave upgrade.

Oct 15, 2018 1:03 PM in response to Zanaelf

Thanks Zanaelf,

I have a working Mojave, it just suffers from a missing Recovery partition, but it's not much use as there are no drivers for the audio software if use it for.

I have always done Time Machine backups but according to Restore they don't contain any valid OS.

Also, if I try Internet Restore (4 keys at startup) it's happy to restore Mountain Lion but doesn't see any partitions to put it in.

In any case Mountain Lion is too old.

I think that my best option will probably be to create a copy of High Sierra on a flash drive using a friends Mac (running HS) and install this on mine.

What do you think?

Oct 16, 2018 12:19 AM in response to Mike Floutier

yeah the recovery partition vanishes... when the OS vanished, and you managed to recover the OS partition with first aid in latest disk utility. I have not tested audio software yet. What software do you use on it ? Logic ? I am aware that Apple updates Logic and Garageband to be compatible with newer versions of it's OS

" Restore they don't contain any valid OS." Is this restoring from time machine in Mojave or Mountain Lion ?

Well the partition got deleted, you would have to redownload Mountain Lion and install it.

If your audio software cannot run in High Sierra Install high Sierra on other or External drive), and install High Sierra on an external drive/another drive and dual-boot Mountain Lion with Sierra on external drive for browsing the web with latest version of safari(for security) and other things such as if you enabled two-factor authentication (which mail, iMessage, FaceTime become completely useless up to Mavericks , and work in Yosemite and up), and keep Mountain Lion productivity. Try testing the audio software in high Sierra, on friend's mac first before making a final conclusion of having main drive on High Sierra.

Oct 16, 2018 5:25 AM in response to Zanaelf

Thanks again Zanaelf,

"" Restore they don't contain any valid OS." Is this restoring from time machine in Mojave or Mountain Lion ?" - I only have Mojave now so it's Mojave that doesn't see the old OS when I try to restore from Time Machine backup.

I use Tascam audio software which I know works fine with High Sierra.

I only really use the Mac mini for music production plus convenient bulk storage for various files (pics and vids etc)

The only reason I needed to upgrade from Mountain Lion was that the browsers were now longer working with sites I needed to use.

So, it is for these reasons that I need to get High Sierra installed somehow.

Oct 16, 2018 5:24 AM in response to Zanaelf

Thanks again Zanaelf, I get to the link on the app store to open the High Sierra installer ok BUT it won't let me download it because I'm in Mojave.

I have been able to get hold of a file called "Install macOS High Sierra.app" but it's only around 23Mb, it seems much too small. Not sure if it's any use. It won't run on Mojave anyway because Mojave is newer.

Any more ideas? The link you mentioned talks about download "High Sierra Installer" from a friends Mac that is running High Sierra and make it bootable on a flash drive.

Could I then install that High Sierra from the flash drive onto my Mac? I guess I'd have to erase the Mojave partition first??

Oct 17, 2018 9:21 AM in response to Zanaelf

Thanks for sticking with me on this Zanaelf,

I already tried that link for High Sierra. I won't work on Mojave because it's a downgrade.

I seem to have two options:

1. Make a bootable High Sierra install disk using a friend's Mac that is running High Sierra. Then erase my Mojave partition and install High Sierra (remembering your comments about the Files Systems).

2. Erase my Mojave. Then do an Internet Recovery (Shift-Cmd-Alt-R-Start) to reload Mountain Lion. Then upgrade to High Sierra, using your link to the App Store.

The problem with the second option is that I tried it already (but without erasing Mojave). It seemed to work ok, BUT, when it asked me to select a destination disk for Mountain Lion it could NOT see ANY available disks/partitions nada.

I think I will try number 1 first.

Does that make sense?

Oct 18, 2018 2:05 AM in response to Mike Floutier

Its a pleasure, and thank you.

What a bummer, they should have the option available to downgrade , like the time period of 2 weeks to a month for people who have issues. Some people upgraded with no issues (except for no Bootcamp read driver, and Time Machine backups/restores with Mojave has been buggy).

O.k maybe create a another drive partition in Mojave (if you wish to try and keep it, but I doubt it would retain its partition if you dual boot via system preferences) But Its best not to keep Mojave on the same disk/drive in a separate partition, as you could loose data working between the two OS's which is why it would work a little better and a bit safer if you had Mountain Lion and Mojave on separate hardware drives.

Yes Mountain Lion installer wont read the partition because of the APFS format, and Apple's older systems cant read APFS except for High Sierra and Mojave..

If you Used option 2 you would need

1) to erase drive,

2) format partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3) and then install Mountain Lion on, then run time machine backup to put all your things back to the way they were... and

4) then Upgrade to High Sierra.

Oct 18, 2018 2:22 PM in response to Zanaelf

Thanks Zanaelf,

What I did was to create a separate partition called Mountain Lion which I formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), as you suggested.

I was then able to re-install Mountain Lion using Internet Recovery (Shift/Cmd/Alt/R - after pressing the start button).

I was then able to use the link you kindly provided to download the High Sierra installer from the App Store.

I am now in the process of installing High Sierra (On my disk labeled "Mountain Lion" oops).

Once it is installed I will restore all my personal files which I have on Time Machine plus copies on DVDs.

I still have my copy of Mojave on it's own separate disk. I get the choice of the two Mac OSs at Alt/R.

Still wondering how I get to start my Windows 7 OS, which is in a BOOTCAMP partition still; it just doesn't appear at Startup.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Oct 19, 2018 12:57 AM in response to Mike Floutier

Ok, well it seemed to be going so well. I left the High Sierra install running when I went to bed THEN, just when it was nearly finished it said:

"Mac OS could not be installed on your computer

This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable.

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again"

I'm not sure what this means OR what I should do next??

I guess I could delete my BOOTCAMP partition along with the Windows 7 OS it contains and try again.

However, I don't have a Windows 7 installation disk so I'd need to find a way of reinstalling the Windows 7 after High Sierra is installed (if that's possible). I think you can download/install it if you have a product key or something.

Oct 19, 2018 11:57 PM in response to Zanaelf

Thanks Zanaelf,

Since I haven't used Windows 7 (in my BOOTCAMP partition) for a year I decided to delete it, since it seems to be stopping High Sierra installing.

I then tried installing High Sierra again and this time it worked fine.

I just have to copy all my personal files into it and download my audio device drivers and I'll be good to go.

Thanks so much for all your help and especially your patience.

Mike

Problems after upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.