Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 female to thunderbolt 2 male adaptor

Hi,

I have a macbook pro with only thunderbolt 2 (mini display) ports.

I also received a docking station from HP that is using thunderbolt 3 (usb-c): Amazon.com: HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 (120W): Electronics

Is there anyway I can get it work with the mac?

I checked Apple's adaptor but that doesn't seem to fit my case: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 3:14 PM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2018 1:09 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks for the suggestion!

I bought the adaptor and a thunderbolt 2 cable. However, when I connected the dock to my mac. There was no response.

I tried to plug in the thunderbolt 3 from the dock into itself and there is a light blinking at the top. Seems like I need to plug the thunderbolt 3 from the dock to my laptop so it can work?

Oct 9, 2018 5:05 PM in response to xu5bo5yang5

The adapter is reversible and should work with its Thunderbolt 3 plug plugged into the Thunderbolt 3 port (lightning icon) on the dock.

Since its made by HP, it's possible that the dock is Windows only. and not compatible with Macs. It does say:

"Designed For: HP EliteBook 830 G5, 840 G5, 850 G5 Ý HP ProBook 640 G4, 650 G4 Ý HP ZBook 14u G5 Mobile Workstation"

Thunderbolt 3 female to thunderbolt 2 male adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.