Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Government Alerts toggle has disappeared

Has anyone solved why they don't have the "Government Alert" under notifications yet?

I am getting alerts but this only started a month ago so I went through the steps to turn it off and my phone just does not list Government Alerts under notifications. Nothing. I have restored it and still nothing. I looked for an update for my iPhone 6 but it is up to date.

Please let me know if anyone found how to see this.

iPhone 6

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 6:34 PM

It should not matter where I am. I said that I do not have a certain feature AND that I know others do. All the info on the Apple site says all phone similar to mine have this feature. I am asking for help getting to see this feature.

Thank you all for explaining life to me. I assure you our the ER would know way before they get around to sending a message to you on you person cell phones, but thanks for your concern.

If you have an iPhone you can see these instructions:

How to control AMBER and Government Alerts on your iPhone

1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap on Notifications and scroll all the way to the bottom.
  3. Under the Government Alerts section, toggle the AMBER Alerts or Government Alerts option on or off to enable or disable them.

I am just trying to say mine does not look like this and I can not figure it out. Please stop attacking me. If you can't actually tell me what I need to click (or unclick) to be able to look under settings, notifications, government alerts then nothing need to be said. Please. I thought this was a technical forum. I just need some technical information.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2018 6:34 PM in response to deggie

It should not matter where I am. I said that I do not have a certain feature AND that I know others do. All the info on the Apple site says all phone similar to mine have this feature. I am asking for help getting to see this feature.

Thank you all for explaining life to me. I assure you our the ER would know way before they get around to sending a message to you on you person cell phones, but thanks for your concern.

If you have an iPhone you can see these instructions:

How to control AMBER and Government Alerts on your iPhone

1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap on Notifications and scroll all the way to the bottom.
  3. Under the Government Alerts section, toggle the AMBER Alerts or Government Alerts option on or off to enable or disable them.

I am just trying to say mine does not look like this and I can not figure it out. Please stop attacking me. If you can't actually tell me what I need to click (or unclick) to be able to look under settings, notifications, government alerts then nothing need to be said. Please. I thought this was a technical forum. I just need some technical information.

Oct 5, 2018 6:07 PM in response to iZian

I don't live in the USA, but even there no one can make you receive anything on your cell phone. However, that is not my issue. My issue is that the options that are supposed to appear under notifications do not. I see many others on this board also have that issue but no one seems to be able to explain why or how I can get those options I am supposed to.

But, thanks for your input.

Oct 5, 2018 6:18 PM in response to deggie

I am sorry. This is not my issue. there is something on my phone that is not working as it should. I live at least 3 hours from a store that can help me fix the phone so I thought I would try this. The phone.... not whether or not it can be turn off or on, but the whole thing does not show on my phone.

In Canada governmental alerts are not mandatory. They are a service. One I would like to turn off when I am at work in the ER of my local hospital. I know others have this ability, same phone, same updates. I am not talking countries or laws. I want to know how some of the others on this forum actually solved the issue.

Please, please if you can help me just give me the steps. I don't want to talk about countries or laws, just my phone. I do KNOW it is not because that service is not offered here in Canada.

Oct 5, 2018 6:44 PM in response to Lyssa

Thanks, but I am getting them. Thankfully on a couple and sadly for Amber Alerts. I just don't have the ability to turn it off, or on, or change the sound.

I did restore tonight as if it was a new phone, not from back up. I will call my carrier they may know. Thanks.

I was sure it was something I had to tick, or whatever. Was hoping there was a simple solution.

Thanks Lyssa

Oct 5, 2018 6:40 PM in response to Benson97

The fine print on this page:About emergency and government alerts on iPhone and Apple Watch - Apple Support

says: *Government Alerts are supported when using a SIM card from a supported carrier.

Perhaps your carrier doesn't support the alerts properly? Contacting them may be worth trying.

Otherwise, I would try restoring your phone as new (NOT from a backup) to see if the option shows up.

~Lyssa

Oct 5, 2018 6:47 PM in response to deggie

Thanks Deggie, that is what I have been trying to say I do not have those toggles. I'm not sure how I offended you but I do guarantee all and I mean all emergency personal in your country or mine would be the first call.

Since you are having difficulty understanding the issue please go on about your business.

Oct 5, 2018 6:24 PM in response to Benson97

You never stated what country you are in. If Canada does not do National alerts then that is why you are not seeing such a toggle, in your case if you are correct and Canada is that far behind in technology then there is no reason to give you an option to turn something on if it doesn't exist.

The National or Presidential alert is not local and is not a service, it is to be used only in a national emergency such as a nuclear attack, multiple location terrorist attacks, or something on a similar scale to provide vital information to all citizens that can be reached. I would assume even in a local ER this information would be important even in Canada.

But good news for you, since Canada doesn't want to notify its citizens by cell phone in the event of a national emergency you won't be disturbed at your ER.

Oct 5, 2018 6:42 PM in response to Benson97

No, because where you are someone high up in the government is going to contact you personally at the ER.

The other government alerts being referenced are Weather alerts. You can indeed turn that off because I'm sure mother nature will contact you in the ER prior to it reaching you.

And actually on my phone under the heading Government Alerts it has two listed, AMBER Alerts and Emergency Alerts. Does yours not show those two sliders? The Emergency Alert turns of the weather and local emergency alerts. Turn them both off. I have no toggle for the Presidential Alert that just occurred, not even a mention of it. I cannot turn it off. Under previous versions there was text indicating that the Presidential alert could not be turned off but that was really not necessary since you had no control over it.

So if you have those two you have the same control as everyone else.

Oct 5, 2018 6:46 PM in response to Benson97

If you are saying you don't have any of the toggles at the bottom of the screen, nor the heading Government Alerts, that may indeed be a carrier issue, check also to see if there is a carrier update available when you call them. They will want to know what your current one is, that is in Settings > General > About

Oct 6, 2018 12:10 AM in response to Benson97

These settings, within the iPhone, are usually (90%) controlled by the carrier and the rest of the time it’s be region.

If you’re sure your phone is set up for the correct region I would try to perhaps contact your carrier about it.

If your country does not have them by law then your carrier shouldn’t force them if they are even an option on your carrier.

I do not have this option. In my country we do not have these messages mandatory and my carrier doesn’t support them.

But I also have different options to my wife who is on another carrier.

The people with the same option on iPhone iOS 12 that you see, are they on the same carrier? Do they have newer SIM cards or different carrier settings?

Government Alerts toggle has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.