Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I make a slider rig skip states between key-framed position?

I made a walking cycle by rigging Z rotations of groups.. to a slider. This is just a test project to experiment and try things out, but I have uncovered a problem that I hope to solve.

Here is link to my project

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ux24lyubvorsx7/Walking%20Rig%20Project%20File.motn?dl =0

I have a slider for the left leg groups and a slider for the right leg groups.

Then I put both sliders onto 1 slider - so moving the 1 slider will cycle the walk positions for each leg.

The slider runs the legs to the end of the walk cycle - but, what I was intending to do was to be able to key-frame the slider to jump right back to the initial position - run - jump back - run - so that over the duration the slider repeats the cycle from the start and it makes the legs continue to walk...

I put exact values for each slider position and I am key framing to those exact values - but, the slider will animate all the positions between so the legs flurry in reverse before starting the cycle again.

argh.

I realise i was very naive about what I slider can do.

I wanted to ask, is there anyway to make the slider ignore the animations on the way back - or is this not the way sliders are supposed to be used?

I was hoping to give the editor control over the walk cycle by publishing the slider to the FCPX template so it can be key-framed to run for as many cycles as the editor needs...and to stop and start when the editor needs too ..but if the sliders cannot ignore states between the end and the start- i have to nerf this idea.

Is this possible, or am do I have the wrong ideas about what sliders can and cannot do?

Thanks.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12), 8gig ram, amd R9 M390, core 1%

Posted on Oct 6, 2018 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 4:56 PM

Rig widgets are primarily for publishing parameters for an end user to use in Final Cut. They cannot be keyframed *and* published as they will not work in FCPX if keyframed in Motion when published. You may or may not need to have keyframing access in Final Cut. While this might have been a "nice idea"... it is absolutely unusable past one loop.

Since you've already gone through all this work, there is a solution which will allow you to animate your character over time.

First— keyframe the Both rig to create 1 cycle of the walk - about 75 frames long.

Next — Select the Legs Rig group and type 'O' to set an out point. Type 'K' to create a Clone layer and turn off the Legs Rig group.

Select the Clone Layer and type 'L' to create a Replicator. Set the Shape to Point. Play. You should get a looping animation.

There are other ways to accomplish looping animation, but this is the easiest that will preserve the work you've already put into your project.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2018 4:56 PM in response to rowie302

Rig widgets are primarily for publishing parameters for an end user to use in Final Cut. They cannot be keyframed *and* published as they will not work in FCPX if keyframed in Motion when published. You may or may not need to have keyframing access in Final Cut. While this might have been a "nice idea"... it is absolutely unusable past one loop.

Since you've already gone through all this work, there is a solution which will allow you to animate your character over time.

First— keyframe the Both rig to create 1 cycle of the walk - about 75 frames long.

Next — Select the Legs Rig group and type 'O' to set an out point. Type 'K' to create a Clone layer and turn off the Legs Rig group.

Select the Clone Layer and type 'L' to create a Replicator. Set the Shape to Point. Play. You should get a looping animation.

There are other ways to accomplish looping animation, but this is the easiest that will preserve the work you've already put into your project.

Can I make a slider rig skip states between key-framed position?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.