Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade to El Capitan when the App Store isn't displaying it as available?

How do I upgrade to El Capitan from Lion when the App Store does not show it being available or has Apple rendered my barely used iMac a brick?

iMac, Currently running 10.7.5/Lion

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 12:04 PM

8 replies

Oct 8, 2018 7:10 PM in response to janfrompambula

Before trying the installation again open Disk Utility which is in your Applications/ Utilities folder and run Verify Disk, if it picks up problems then you will need to restart to your Recovery Disk, (Restart holding down Command- R) and run Repair Disk from Disk Utility there. you could also try restarting your Mac inn See Mode and trying the installation from there, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 7, 2018 8:58 PM in response to macmomma2011

HI there...did this work for you? How did you do it?

I went to the link and it brought up a download 10.11.6 which I had already downloaded and my computer lion 10.7.5 (2011) is saying I need El Capitan 10.11 which seems to NOT be available.

Can or did Apple help here?

Frustrating as I have a perfectly good machine that I cannot nor AFFORD to upgrade.

Cheers,

Jan

Oct 7, 2018 9:21 PM in response to janfrompambula

The link I posted will take you to the App Store where you can download the full El Capitan installer (approx 6GBs) this will install the latest and last version 10.11.6. it sounds like you had previously downloaded an 10.11.6 update, which you need an earlier version of 10.11 installed before you can install the update. Just follow my link and download the full installer, this gets downloaded to your Applications folder, make a copy of it before going ahead with the install, keep the copy safe on an external drive as the one in the Applications folder self deletes after the installation has completed. It is handy to have the copy in case you need to re install it and saves having to download it again.

Oct 8, 2018 5:21 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Hello...I'm in trouble!

First off thank you for advice and the download went well...until the installation.

Got to about 2/3rds of the way through and then a total white screen.

I have read up on other people who have gone through this.

I have tried SMC reset, have tried the hold down Command-Option-P-R...this time I came up with the apple logo and the bar running for the installation but only went about half way, then a coloured line appeared and went to white screen again.

Can you please help me? I am elderly and really not up with mod tech as such so explanation in easy terms would be helpful. Luckily I have an older mac to go on with at the moment.

Cheers,

Jan

How do I upgrade to El Capitan when the App Store isn't displaying it as available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.