Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s not connecting to BT Whole Home correctly and fully

Just installed BT Whole Home mesh WiFi. All discs are at latest firmware level, iOS App is latest version. All devices connect readily and run well except iPhone 6s (iPhone SE, 2 x iPad Air 2, sundry WiFi webcams, wireless speakers, Amazon box, Sky HD box, all no problems.) I have posted this in BT forum as well!

The symptoms are these ....

• Try to connect iPhone 6s to WholeHome WiFi, supply password,
  • shows “joining network”
  • on settings page for WiFi, tick appears next to network name, IP address etc all appear correctly allocated, lock shows password accepted.
  • little WiFi symbol at top of screen appears but vanishes immediately.
  • Settings line remains ticked, as if there is a connection
  • Wholehome app says ”not connected to WiFi” and says go to settings and connect (where it shows tick, as above!)
  • looking in Wholehome app on iPad, or web pages for Wholehome, iphone is shown as on network. If I turn off WiFi on it, duly disappears from network. Turn WiFi on, it reappears - looks as if SOME sort of connection is present.

I have tried...

• Reboot iphone
  • reboot whole home device by device (3 discs)
  • reboot router (BT Homehub 6) followed by reboot all Whole Home
  • reset network settings on iPhone

None of this makes any difference!

I’m out of ideas! Help!

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 7:17 AM

A posting elsewhere triggered me to examine what was different between my iPhone and iPad- VPN was the answer. I have TunnelBear on both, but it only autoconnects on the iPhone (because my iPad is 99% used on my own, trusted, networks).

Turning off auto connect fixed the problem and I have now marked the network as trusted and turned auto connect back on.

This begs the question of why I was not getting some better alert than the WiFi symbol disappearing to tell me the connection was not completing properly (timing issue?) but that is a minor point. Just delighted to have Wholehome working for all devices so I can turn off previous network.

Now getting a steady 180Mbps WiFi speed or close to it all over the house.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 7:17 AM in response to David_D49

A posting elsewhere triggered me to examine what was different between my iPhone and iPad- VPN was the answer. I have TunnelBear on both, but it only autoconnects on the iPhone (because my iPad is 99% used on my own, trusted, networks).

Turning off auto connect fixed the problem and I have now marked the network as trusted and turned auto connect back on.

This begs the question of why I was not getting some better alert than the WiFi symbol disappearing to tell me the connection was not completing properly (timing issue?) but that is a minor point. Just delighted to have Wholehome working for all devices so I can turn off previous network.

Now getting a steady 180Mbps WiFi speed or close to it all over the house.

Oct 10, 2018 7:28 AM in response to David_D49

I am now totally frustrated and puzzled.

I have tried my iPhone 6s on another Wholehome network which is known to support an iPhone 6s and it did not connect properly, doing exactly as it has done on mine! (The “settings” line shows connected and it has a tick, IP address etc all correct, but the WiFi symbol appears then vanishes at top of screen. Web pages deliver but very slowly, mail will not send.)

Following that I have done a total erase/install of my iPhone - to no avail, I still get exactly the same partial network attachment.

One more try at power off and restart Wholehome, forget network, power off restart iPhone and I am giving up and will probably send the whole thing back.

iPhone 6s not connecting to BT Whole Home correctly and fully

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.