Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ringtone cant be played on this iPhone"

Why? its an m4r file. its the right length (less than 30 seconds). In the past, I've never had problems, why now?

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 5:37 AM

See Create and manage ringtones in iTunes. In some cases you may need to remove all custom ringtones from a device before you can reintroduce them and have them work.

tt2

10 replies

Oct 9, 2018 12:55 PM in response to lorihughes

A few different points...

- its a new phone. I transferred everything (ringtones) from my last phone fine.

- I added one new ringtone (my own)

- unable to add a second ringtone (my own)

- On iTunes, all the transferred ringtones are greyed out, with the hashed circle. But still work fine on the iPhone

- The first added ringtone, is black and looks normal. Even transferred to the iPhone fine

- Second ringtone is greyed, and i get the message that it cant be played on this iPhone when I try to synch

Makes no sense to me. One works, the other doesnt. All, except one, are greyed out on iTunes..

Oct 11, 2018 7:44 PM in response to lorihughes

I've tried installing a couple different tones, nothing works. (these are custom tones I've made)

- its a new phone. I transferred everything (ringtones) from my last phone fine.

- I added one new ringtone (my own)

- unable to add a second ringtone (my own)

- On iTunes, all the transferred ringtones are greyed out, with the hashed circle. But still work fine on the iPhone

- The first added ringtone, is black and looks normal. Even transferred to the iPhone fine

- Second ringtone is greyed

Makes no sense to me. One works, the other doesnt. All, except one, are greyed out on iTunes..

"Ringtone cant be played on this iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.