Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages sending to the wrong person

when I send a message on my iPhone to my brother the contact switches to my mom and vice versa. We did share an Apple ID but I created a personal one and it is still doing this. We all have iPhones and I have the latest software update. What should I do?

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 8:12 PM

mik296 wrote:

We did share an Apple ID but I created a personal one

The fact that you did share an Apple ID is the underlying cause of the problem.

Once the new Apple ID is created, the person who starts using that new Apple ID needed to thoroughly and completely cleanse all her/his iOS devices as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apparently that did not happen. Do it now if possible.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2018 8:12 PM in response to mik296

mik296 wrote:

We did share an Apple ID but I created a personal one

The fact that you did share an Apple ID is the underlying cause of the problem.

Once the new Apple ID is created, the person who starts using that new Apple ID needed to thoroughly and completely cleanse all her/his iOS devices as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apparently that did not happen. Do it now if possible.

Oct 8, 2018 9:09 PM in response to mik296

mik296 wrote:

Why would this be happening if all 3 of us are using the same Apple ID?

When doing something you never should have been doing in the Apple world, I strongly suggest not going through a "why ..." analysis. You're doing something that you should change.

mik296 wrote:

This only started happening about a week ago

The answer is similar to the above. At times, Apple does not strictly enforce things until later. Activation Lock, for example, was not part of the iOS world until iOS evolved a bit. Enforcement of one Apple ID per person is stronger since iOS 12.

Oct 15, 2018 4:54 PM in response to mik296

I have the same issue, 5 iPhones, 5 independent Apple IDs. We have been using family sharing for year or two, prior to family sharing we all shared an Apple ID.

Since we updated 1 iphone 6 to ios12, the iMessages from that phone send to the wrong person. If I erase and reset all the phones, if I then restore from a backup will the problems also be restored?

iMessages sending to the wrong person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.