Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Sync session failed to start

For the past couple weeks, I can't sync my iPhone SE due to a 'sync session failed to start' message. I'm in Windows 10. I have tried restarting/updating everything, connecting with iTunes closed, using a different cable/trying wireless sync, reinstalling iTunes. Nothing works! Only thing I haven't tried is restoring the iPhone – now of course, the latest backup is after the problems started. Any suggestions?

iPhone SE, Windows 10, HP Envy desktop

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 10:53 AM

22 replies

Oct 10, 2018 2:50 PM in response to Doofy

Hello Doofy,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to sync your iPhone with iTunes on your Windows computer, as you get a "Sync Session failed to start" error message. Since you have already tried some good troubleshooting steps, please follow the steps in this Apple resource that could help with your situation:

Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software

Cheers!

Oct 12, 2018 6:09 AM in response to Doofy

Just adding a note that I am not the only one having this problem, as a search of recent posts shows: https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?q=sync%2Bsession%2Bfailed%2Bto%2Bstart &page=1&content=filterDiscussions&time=m…

Resetting to factory seems to be the only step that has worked, unfortunately: iPhone could not be synced because sync session failed to start Seems pretty clear that the problems are linked to recent iOs 12 update, and that backups are corrupt

Oct 10, 2018 3:43 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks Jeremy. I'll run through a couple of these, but this cause seems unlikely to me. None of the problems described at the top of the page are what I am experiencing, and the security software isn't throwing detections. I think if Windows Defender suddenly started blocking iTunes, I wouldn't be the only one having this problem, which I apparently am!

Oct 15, 2018 12:12 PM in response to Doofy

Final note, I hope. Restoring to factory settings and setting up as a new iPhone is indeed the thing that solved the "sync session failed to start" error. I did not try restoring from a backup, so I don't know that it wouldn't work. Obviously, you need to back up before you factory reset. Apple Support made a valiant effort, but they're just not familiar with this issue.

Jan 7, 2019 8:29 PM in response to Austar81

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue. my itunes and phone are up to date, 6S, Windows 10.

Why when apple responds with a solution that does not work, as they did above, do they disappear? Could someone from Apple please step up and respond?

It's things like this that will drive me to Android. After Apple's recent profit warning Cook stated they were going to work on Customer Service. So where is it?

Jan 8, 2019 12:41 PM in response to Doofy

I had this problem on a 16gb 5S when trying to solve the 'storage full' issue (separately). My iPhone has a huge discrepancy in the 'other' category that's filling the phone, but when trying to sync it failed.

The sync failure appears to have been due to a lack of space. I offloaded all my photos to create some temporary space and the synchronisation is working again.

Hopefully this means I can now address the issue being taken up by 'other' storage taking up over half the phone, and showing as free in iTunes, but occupied in the phone itself.

Another hour of my life I won't get back again though...

Jan 14, 2019 6:55 PM in response to JP24

Thanks for the response. I removed most of my photos, have over 4 GB's available, and it still won't work. The album I really want to get back on my phone I purchased on my phone but it would crap out halfway through the first song. So I deleted it from itunes on my phone and figured I'd simply then move it back from my itunes desktop back to my phone. But nope, won't work. "sync failed to start." And it seems I can't request a refund as it's not within 90 days.

Man, such a simple situation with no simple solution. Apple???????

Jan 26, 2019 10:55 AM in response to djas2000

After doing a safety back-up on my C drive, I did the factory reset and my iphone was able to sync just fine. Once I restored the back-up, no go. On Apples advice, I tried it again by backing up I Cloud instead. Still no go. I'm able to sync to my ipad with no issues.

I have spent hours on the phone with Apple. They continue to say it has nothing to do with the update and everything to do with the data on my phone.

Really??? Really???

Jan 29, 2019 11:33 PM in response to Doofy

Having this same issue and its very frustrating. I have an iphone 6 with 12.1.3 installed and the newest itunes version on my pc running windows 7. I had an older version of itunes on my pc and i thought that was causing the issue so i updated that and tried again. Nothing, same sync session failed to start message. I tried updating my iphone to 12.1.3, same issue. Tried using an actual apple cable and syncing over wifi, zip. All i want to do is do upload some music to my phone that i have on cds and i can't do that if i dont sync my phone. Apple can you please at least acknowledge that this is a problem with ios 12 and try to fix it?

Feb 8, 2019 12:54 AM in response to Doofy

Dear support,

I have the same issue since I bought a new iPhone X, previously I had iPhone SE, with no problem with synchronizing my music. When I get the new iPhone X, I did a back up of the SE phone and sync with the new X phone. Everything got over, contacts, apps, photos but no music, and the sync ended up with an error. After I tried to do the separate sync of the music and after I plugged in iPhone X I got this message: the iPhone could not sync because the session failed to start.

I literally tried everything, all is up to date, I removed the previous back up I authorize my computer, I tried this on Mac and Windows computer as well. I reboot my iPhone. Only thing I did not do is the factory reset. But as I read below, the ones they did the back up first then factory reset it solved the sync, but as soon as they put the file/back up on the phone the issue appeared again.

This brings me to the end of it where only problem is probably some corrupted file, setting which gets over when you do the full back up, so even if you do the factory reset, and fix the sync, after you put this all back to your phone is not working again.

Could you please find out what part, setting or file could cause this and how to fix it?

Thank you very much

iPhone Sync session failed to start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.