Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleID login looping after macOS Mohave upgrade

(Note: Redirected here from macOS community)

I am attempting to log into iCloud on iMac that was just upgraded to Mohave. I enter my correct account ID, my correct password, and enter the 6 digit code from my iPhone (two factor auth). The UI shows a spinning circle for a moment or so, and then goes right back to prompting for my user ID, password and a new 6 digit code, over, and over, and over. I know iCloud id not logged in as none of the services are enabled. I even entered a known bad password once to make sure the iCloud login was even working and it immediately came back with an invalid password error, so I know I am hitting the iCloud server.

I have rebooted the machine, tried both wired Ethernet and WiFi, and same problem.

Any ideas?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 1:44 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just before you replied I tried one last thing out of desperation.

I went to Library/Keychains

Then selected all files and folders, right clicked and selected the New Folder with Items option (this moved all of the Keychain files and folders into the new folder names New Folder with Items. I then rebooted the machine, and then logged back into the system with my machine username and password. Once logged into the OS I went to Preferences/iCloud and entered my iCloud AppleID username, the account password and then the 6 digit two factor value displayed on my phone. That started the iCloud login process, I entered the machine user account password, and then verified all of the iCloud options I wanted (Keychain, Find My Mac, etc.).

Everything appears to now be working. This is the second machine I upgraded from high Sierra to Mohave. Both have corrupted the Keychain to the point that various weird errors were occurring (on one I could no longer log into my personal email account with Apple mail, it rejected every attempt to connect to my mail server, on the second machine, this iMac I could not get logged back into iCloud). I did the same set of steps I noted above with the local Keychain folder on both Mac's, now everything is back working on both machines.

Mohave upgrade seems to be doing something to the Keychain that really messes up stuff.

Problem appears to be resolved, I'll monitor for a while and make sure nothing changes, but for now, looking good.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2018 1:44 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just before you replied I tried one last thing out of desperation.

I went to Library/Keychains

Then selected all files and folders, right clicked and selected the New Folder with Items option (this moved all of the Keychain files and folders into the new folder names New Folder with Items. I then rebooted the machine, and then logged back into the system with my machine username and password. Once logged into the OS I went to Preferences/iCloud and entered my iCloud AppleID username, the account password and then the 6 digit two factor value displayed on my phone. That started the iCloud login process, I entered the machine user account password, and then verified all of the iCloud options I wanted (Keychain, Find My Mac, etc.).

Everything appears to now be working. This is the second machine I upgraded from high Sierra to Mohave. Both have corrupted the Keychain to the point that various weird errors were occurring (on one I could no longer log into my personal email account with Apple mail, it rejected every attempt to connect to my mail server, on the second machine, this iMac I could not get logged back into iCloud). I did the same set of steps I noted above with the local Keychain folder on both Mac's, now everything is back working on both machines.

Mohave upgrade seems to be doing something to the Keychain that really messes up stuff.

Problem appears to be resolved, I'll monitor for a while and make sure nothing changes, but for now, looking good.

Oct 9, 2018 12:22 PM in response to DavePhoto

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

AppleID login looping after macOS Mohave upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.