Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud sign on stuck in a loop on MacBook Pro

System Preferences opens to iCloud. My apple id is there and correct. I click Next and enter my password. The little thing spins a bit, then it goes back to to my id. I also can't sign onto the iTunes.

If I enter something at random for my password, I get a message the password is wrong, so I know I authenticate correctly. My laptop also appears in iCloud.com and in my devices list under my account on my phone and iPad.

I also disabled my firewall temporarily to see it that was the culprit, but it wasn't. I still couldn't authenticate properly. It isn't my network, because nothing has changed on it and my other devices don't have this problem.

The only things that have changed in the last 2 weeks was a security update installed on October 14 on the MacBook (High Sierra 10.13.6), and added Apple Pay to my phone and iPad.

Why did this just stop working? It appears like whatever acknowledgement that is supposed to come to my laptop when I submit my password isn't.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 1:23 PM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2019 1:23 PM in response to IdleBrain66

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Oct 21, 2019 3:10 PM in response to Eric Root

I'll give that a try. Interesting this is I can authenticate when I get something from the app store.

I am not running any AV app or using a VPN. I ran a Wireshark trace on the transaction and saw that I begin to receive out of order packets in the TLS packets. I authenticate, exchange keys and establish the TLS session, but something happens inside it (that's encrypted) that causes an error. Then the session is cancelled.

iCloud sign on stuck in a loop on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.