Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling sound on MacBook Pro 2018

I have the new MacBook Pro 2018 15' I've had it for almost two moths now. I'm sure some user are familiar with the crackling sound from the speakers on their new MacBook Pro. Even apple has addressed this with the macOS High Sierra 10.13. 6 supplemental Update 2.

However, even after updating I still have a crackling sound or a random sounds every time my speakers gets on 44 100 Hz. I can easily fix it with selecting 48 000 Hz, but I still find it shocking that the MacBook 2018 can't use 44 100 Hz... I don't want my Mac on service either atm, simply cause I still believe Apple has a fix for it. I've already replaced my MacBook Pro 2018 15' model once so I don't believe it will help if I try again. (I got it replaced for the same problem). The only reason this is bothering me is simple cause I work with sound, music to be exact.

So I'm just curious if people still have a problem with their MacBook's using 44 100 Hz? or if its just mine.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2018 11:21 AM

I went round and round with Apple Support a few months back regarding this issue, and eventually it seemed that the problem went away with my initial Mojave upgrade.

However, in recent weeks, and especially with the release of 10.14.2, the crackling and popping has come back more frequently.

I think we need to resurface attention to this issue, as there is something seriously wrong with this 2018 round of MBP's.

Awaiting further developments...

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2018 11:21 AM in response to Alias98

I went round and round with Apple Support a few months back regarding this issue, and eventually it seemed that the problem went away with my initial Mojave upgrade.

However, in recent weeks, and especially with the release of 10.14.2, the crackling and popping has come back more frequently.

I think we need to resurface attention to this issue, as there is something seriously wrong with this 2018 round of MBP's.

Awaiting further developments...

Feb 9, 2019 11:39 AM in response to SDolha

Theres a Youtubevideo where the guy explains how to fix this problem, with quitting the coreaudioprocess.

• Go to Spotlight
  • search for the activity Monitor and open it
  • filter to "coreaudiod"
  • double-click the process and quit it

The audio should run normal.

Here is also the link to the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dedxf5dOzkY

This helped me instantly, but its not a real solution. Apple should fix it with an update!

Feb 13, 2019 4:24 PM in response to Knattertoni

I Started a Youtube Channel Documenting Issues Related to This.

If you have a youtube link or want to upload video of your issue and have me add it to the playlist:

Reply to this post and paste a link, or paste a link in the MacRumors thread, (in case this post gets flagged):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2018-speakers-crackling.2128234

Doesn't matter what model as long as its a T2/T1-related audio issue:

• 2018 Macbook Pro
  • 2018 Mac Mini
  • 2018 Macbook Air
  • 2016 Touchbar Macbook Pro
  • Imac Pro

Channel Link:

Mac T2 Chip Audio Glitches

Main Playlist:

2018 Touchbar MacBook / T2-Related Audio Glitches

Feel free to blast the channel link or playlist to any relevant forums or social media channels...

Oct 10, 2018 1:20 PM in response to Alias98

After all the updates, the supplemental update 2 and Mojave, I too still have this issue. I'm a music major and I need to bring my macbook to my lessons every week and play my pieces out through my speaker but I'm afraid the speakers will blow out. I still have no idea what the fix is but I've brought two macbooks back and am on my third on but still the same issue occurs.

Oct 19, 2018 7:24 PM in response to Alias98

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro 2018 13', I've contacted Apple support but the only thing they could help me with was to make a re-installation of Mojave with the hope that it would eliminate the problem, no success.

I have a month with my new Mac and the only thing that bothers me is that I cannot listen to music while working, I spend a lot of time working with the computer and it is very disturbing for me whenever I hear the crackling sound. It happens on both speakers and headphones.

Nov 13, 2018 1:06 PM in response to Alias98

I'm at the Apple store right now returning my THIRD 15" macbook pro in 45 days. I've had the issue with multiple apps (zoom, itunes, netflix, chrome, etc.) and have only found temporary relief by restarting my computer. They keep telling me it's an anomaly, however that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm so upset.... I don't want a different laptop, AND I'm sick of being at the Apple store constantly getting a new laptop and having to take time to set up new laptops constantly. So I'm downgrading because I need a laptop that works - unfortunately that's more important than having the laptop I want at this point.

Nov 16, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Alias98

Hi Alias98.

You are not alone with this crackling issue. I have the laptop over 1 week only and found the noise in the 4th day even if I have the latest updates for High Sierra. Didn't go for Mojave yet. Some say Mojave will fix it, but I couldn't really find users that previously wrote about their sound problem on these conversations, to come back and tell us if they fixed it or not, and how. Also the others that are saying they are in touch with Apple, they don't come back with anything official or 100% fix.

In the meantime, could you please tell us beginners into Mac, how/where do you change the sound sampling from 44 khz to 48khz?

Thanks

Dec 4, 2018 6:09 AM in response to AdiMovedtoMac

You can change this setting in the "Audio MIDI Setup" app, located in the Utilities subfolder of Applications (/Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app).

The setting can be found in the "Audio Devices" window (press ⌘1 to open/close this window). Make sure the speakers are selected on the left, then on the right, select the output tab, and change the sampling rate in the Format pull-down menu to 48,000 Hz. Perform the same change for the Microphone on its Input tab.

Dec 5, 2018 7:50 AM in response to BriSeeley

My 15" MacBook Pro running on Mojave 10.14.1, purchased in August, just started with the crackling speakers issue yesterday and I wasn't playing music. I noticed it from the "notification" tone. 🤔 I restarted my laptop and it sounded fine until this morning. Now I see that others are experiencing the same problem.

I don't have time to replace/repair my MacBook right now.😭 Please reply if yours start acting up again, BriSeeley? Would appreciate any help or guidance from others.

Thanks much!

Dec 14, 2018 2:04 AM in response to Alias98

Just chiming in to report that this has been happening to me for about as long as I've had this MBP - maybe two months for now. Haven't upgraded to Mojave yet, but multiple reports seem to confirm that it doesn't fix the base issue. It kicks in multiple times a day, rebooting usually helps for a while. Spotify and Youtube audio are unlistenable but surprisingly Ableton Live doesn't suffer from this at all (fingers crossed).

Jan 10, 2019 7:30 AM in response to omv777

I also had this problem only with spotify as for now.. tried watching movies online for like 2 hours not a single crackle with Chrome browser... also I kept listening to spotify on and off and didn't catch anything... but like i said last time it happened after an hour or so.. and after rebooting Spotify App I played for another 2 hours and it was ok

Crackling sound on MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.