Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mojave - Failure w/thumbnail cache same problem with High Sierra

When I previously upgraded to High Sierra there was an issue where the thumbnail images on movie files would not load properly, it was very slow. Many people here had this same issue and fortunately it was quickly resolved by Apples team. Great Job and thanks for the quick fix...

I have just upgraded to macOS Mojave; low and behold I am now faced with the exact same issue as before. I open a movie folder and all of my files show the generic movie icon then eventually, very slowly the art begins to fill in. I must say when I initially heard of this new OS I was hesitant to download it for this very reason, then I thought there's no way this could happen again... I was wrong.

I am using a 4 tb G|Drive connected via USB-C. I also tried with standard USB, no difference. Issue also occurs with files on desktop.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor 2.7GHz Intel i5

Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Please work your magic and fix this. 🙂

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Other OS, Failure w/thumbnail cache

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 1:02 PM

A little piece of unrelated advice. Never upgrade from a current version of OS to a newer version until you have fixed any problems that you have had in the older version.

Hopefully, you won't have to go too far with the following before your problem is fixed. However if it isn't fixed then I suggest you take it in and have the service people take a look at it. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. If you did not purchase it from Apple then you will need to look to the vendor for service or How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to back up your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences.
  6. Start the computer in Safe Mode. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. Also, see Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and Playing Safe- what does Safe mode do?.
  7. Use the Apple Hardware Test to see if there is any hardware malfunction. How to invoke and interpret the Apple hardware tests - CNET.
  8. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  9. Repair permissions on the Home folder: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  10. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  11. Download and install the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or 10.12.6 Combo Update or Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update as needed.
  12. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  13. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

14. If none of the above helps then see How to Downgrade macOS High Sierra and macOS Reversion- How to Downgrade from High Sierra.

15. If you get here without success then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2018 1:02 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

A little piece of unrelated advice. Never upgrade from a current version of OS to a newer version until you have fixed any problems that you have had in the older version.

Hopefully, you won't have to go too far with the following before your problem is fixed. However if it isn't fixed then I suggest you take it in and have the service people take a look at it. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. If you did not purchase it from Apple then you will need to look to the vendor for service or How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to back up your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences.
  6. Start the computer in Safe Mode. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. Also, see Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and Playing Safe- what does Safe mode do?.
  7. Use the Apple Hardware Test to see if there is any hardware malfunction. How to invoke and interpret the Apple hardware tests - CNET.
  8. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  9. Repair permissions on the Home folder: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  10. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  11. Download and install the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or 10.12.6 Combo Update or Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update as needed.
  12. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  13. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

14. If none of the above helps then see How to Downgrade macOS High Sierra and macOS Reversion- How to Downgrade from High Sierra.

15. If you get here without success then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Dec 3, 2018 7:33 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

I don't think you fully understand what these forums do.

FYI: These are user-only forums. Apple is not here, and they are not listening. Thus, we are unable to help with hardware repairs, service questions, order information, and other related concerns such as repair costs or parts prices. For these questions, you need to contact Apple directly. Thank you for your understanding and support.

It would help you if you were to read the Apple Support Communities - Terms of Use.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Oct 26, 2018 3:30 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

This problem has existed before and was also called: Abnormally Slow Folder Opening & Folder Populating. I have been searching the web and still have not found a solution.

Changed the drive to APFS. This did not speed anything up by the way, and it made the drive incompatible with older systems as well as PC so don't do this unless the drive is exclusively for Mac with OS High Sierra or higher. Fortunately I have a backup drive that I did not modify.

Tried clearing cloudkitmedadata + (shm, wal) http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/17/fix-slow-folder-populating-cloudkit-macosx/

Of course, cleared cache, restarted etc...

Anyone else having this problem? I can't imagine I'm the only one.

It's the only issue I am having, but it's a pain and I'd like to get it working properly.

This discussion has other info here: Still no fix for macOS Mojave - Failure w/thumbnail cache?

Dec 3, 2018 3:52 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

Update:

About an hour ago I got a call back from the person I spoke to earlier in the day. Apparently all of the detailed information that I have given on this issue to the support team was not clear enough because after receiving the data report as well as all of the transcripts from previous conversations about this issue, here and with their support staff, I was just asked if the problem was with the artwork not showing up at all (!!!)

Even at the start of this post I was very clear about this issue (even more detailed messaging and talking with Apple support), they actually asked me to start the process all over. Unbelievable! Somewhere there is a serious breakdown in the chain of communication at Apple and they seriously need to get it sorted. I'm quickly going from patiently annoyed to I will never buy another Apple product again if they don't get this fixed; and soon! So let me reiterate: THIS IS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AS WHEN HIGH SIERRA WAS RELEASED. IT WAS FIXED IN THE FOLLOWING HIGH SIERRA UPDATE. REFERENCE HERE: High Sierra - Failure w/thumbnail cache

This last bit was for you guys in the support team. Respectfully, I'm sure you have other things to worry about (we all do) but please read the first page of this post, carefully. Try to understand what is says: I know it's not written in computer speak but I have confidence that you can get it. Every person I have spoken with on this issue has been able to read this post, as I have directed them to it. I like to write things out with the intention of leaving a log of events for everyone so they may have some insight into the process. I own an electrical company and I find that my customers like to feel as if they have learned something from me, but they also like to know that I understand them and that I am going to fix their problem. If I don't they'll go elsewhere.

I'm channeling my inner Steve Jobs there a bit in the hopes that someone will get to work, so sorry for the condescension. 🙂 This is what happens when you get tired of explaining things. I've listened to you now it's your turn to listen to me.

Oct 11, 2018 8:43 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I previously had this issue with High Sierra when I first downloaded it in November of last year. There were many complaints of the same issue on this forum and action was taken swiftly by the Apple team to resolve it. I downloaded the fix as soon as it was made available and my movie thumbnail artwork have shown as they should ever since... Until I downloaded OS Mojave yesterday. I now am having the exact same issue as before the High Sierra fix so I assume it may be the same or similar issue that caused the problem this time? What ever the fix was I am not sure, I only know that there was an update that solved the problem.

I'm not sure if the suggestions above pertain to this exact problem, and being as it is the only problem I am experiencing with OS Mojave I would rather not risk causing other issues trying solutions not directly related to this issue. I of course have done a restart etc... this does not solve the problem in fact anything I do that clears the memory causes the process to start over i.e. I open a movie file folder I see the generic movie thumbnails, then it begins to load the images very slowly (normally this would happen almost instantly). Also If I try to download a file onto the drive while this is occurring the download is significantly slower (normally takes 30 sec. to a min.- during this process takes 5-8 min.) It seems to be a memory issue but only related to movie icons (thumbnails) whether the files are on the external drive or on my laptop directly it makes no difference besides the fact that there are more to load on the external hard-drive.

One other detail which may be helpful: When I use other media such as my music in iTunes I do not appear to have this issue - the artwork loads properly. Makes no sense to me why this would be the case other than there may be a difference in how the image is stored... total guess, I'm an electrician not a computer guru. 🙂

Thanks again for the reply, I'm sure a solution will present itself eventually. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Oct 31, 2018 5:34 AM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

Same here, had that exact issue with High Sierra when I downloaded it, thumbnails and custom thumbnails not loading, or taking ages to load! also other issues.

Upgraded to Mojave, same issue again now with the thumbnails, as well as I keep getting the loading symbol whenever I try and do anything like move a file, or open a app or load a folder, it took 16 seconds to move a movie file from my downloaded folder to my desktop with that annoying loading symbol and I couldn't do anything else at all while waiting.

I also use external drives for everything, which are only turned on when I actually need whatever it on that drive, and the iMac itself isn't low on space, I have 24GB of RAM, I have the cleaner app so I keep files etc clean.

It's getting really annoying that Apple can't release an OS without millions of people having issues, the amount people spend on their products etc, you'd think Apple would make sure everything works correctly.

Nov 2, 2018 2:10 PM in response to UrbanKaos

I'm sorry to hear you are having the same problem, but grateful for your reply. I was starting to think I was the only one with this issue. I contacted "support" by phone a few days ago, told them the issue and her reply was she had never heard of this occurring. I guess they must have a high turn over rate in the customer service department.

She was very friendly and made several suggestions (same as I have listed above) but her final suggestion was to re-download Mojave. After I got off the phone with her I gave it a shot, and after going through the process I restarted it, plugged in my hard-drive and... No change whatsoever. Complete waste of time, I don't recommend this.

I have looked into "downgrading" back to High Sierra, unfortunately I did not create a bootable drive for this prior to upgrading to Mojave, plus the process is a bit of a pain (https://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-macos) and I'd rather Apple just fixed the bug and put in an update. . .

I agree, Perhaps Apple should get things working before releasing updates. We'll see I guess. This type of thing is making me re-think owning Apple products. Seems like ever since Steve Jobs died the company is less focused on quality and more interested in raising it's stock values .https://www.forbes.com/sites/drewhansen/2018/08/01/triple-stock-buybacks-apple- workers-economy/#64ba6787808e. Perhaps It's time they start thinking about their customers before they loose them altogether.

Nov 2, 2018 5:33 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

I have the same proplem.

Some of my photo files show the generic icon instead of a thumbnail of the photo. It is weird because it is only some files, not all. These are .psd files that I saved previously from On1 software. It is a pain because I need to see the thumbnail...a waste of time having to open it to see if it is the photo I need to work on. Hmmm...now I am wondering if it has something to do with them being saved from On1. Because when I open them and edit in Photoshop and resave as photoshop .psd they do show the thumbnail.

I did a safe mode restart and it did not change. I saw something about checking some cache but do not know how to do that. I do not want to do the PRam restart because I worry about losing files.

A lot of people think it is due to something called Sketch, but that clearly is not it, even though removing that app and updating it has worked for some, I do not even know what that app is, it is not on my computer.

This is the second problem I have encountered with Mojave. The first was not being able to send emails from my Apple Mail account...the icloud one. I updated to 10.14.1 and that problem was fixed. So yes, Apple needs to fix this. Some of the fixes I have seen posted are too complicated. People assume they are writing instructiions for someone way more computer savvy than I am!

Nov 8, 2018 9:32 AM in response to mlkelstrom

I agree that some solutions are confusing, but more to the point they do not address the problem specified.It's baffling to me how this isn't being addressed.

I still haven't found a solution. So apparently there are only three people who have this issue, or no one else is talking about it. If you have this issue please say so and also contact Apple. If they don't know about it they won't fix it. The more people who say something the better the odds of a solution arising.

As I stated previously; when this happened with the release of High Sierra the problem was addressed by many and the solution came in the form of an update to the OS within a month of it's occurrence. If you are reading this and have not experienced this issue please let us know as well. If this is an isolated issue it would be helpful to know.

Thanks for any and all relevant input 🙂.

Nov 28, 2018 3:00 PM in response to RAEYYZ

I have talked to Apple's "support" team on 4 occasions now, the last time being two weeks ago. I was on the phone with with a tech (for two Hours) who walked me through the steps of creating a system report of the time when I open the file so they can analyze what's causing the issue. I was told that they are aware of the issue and are working on it so hopefully there will be a fix in the next update. Hopefully soon...

Dec 3, 2018 10:59 AM in response to tylertc04

A nightmare is right. After I read your post I decided to contact Apple support again to get a progress report. First I opened a chat window where they directed me to a phone call. . . trouble is they couldn't make the call because whoever put my number in the database added an extra digit to my area code, the call wouldn't go trough. Once we got that sorted out I talked to someone who told me they were connecting me to tech support. . . I was on hold for over 30 minutes before I spoke with someone who needed to take a moment to review my case. . . After several minutes of waiting I was then connected with another person who after having me clarify the situation discovered that the system report I created weeks ago had never been sent down the line to the engineers. I was told that a high priority would be attached and they should hear back sometime today. Doubtful. 😟

All caught up, the only hope is someone else with this issue as made more progress and a solution is being hatched.

Good luck to us all.

Dec 4, 2018 9:44 AM in response to Kappy

Actually I do and I'm mostly letting others know where things stand. Additionally, I have spoken with several people in tech support in the last month by phone and they have actually viewed this post. Also, the woman who walked me through making a system report for the engineers to look at transcribed what I have written here for reference, and the last person I spoke with from tech support also visited this forum also to gain insight into the issue.

Dec 4, 2018 2:06 PM in response to Kappy

I think a lot of users understand that posting in these 'discussion' forums don't equivalate a solution, but rather start a discussion to initiate and engage in conversation (regarding issues pertaining to the respective forum) in hopes to either find a solution or communicate with each other tips and/or work abouts.

Dec 4, 2018 3:38 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

You tell ‘em! What good is a forum if Apple never looks at it to see what the problems may be. I have tried to contact Apple...it is a total hassle and I do not have the patience. Thank goodness for people like you. MOJAVE IS THE WORST UPGRADE IN THE HISTORY OF APPLE UPGRADES...and I have been doing this since the early 90s. My iMac runs so slow now, nothing works the same. The fixes are sooo complicated and do not fix anything. I would go back to High Sierra but have no way to back up 2 TB of files in order to do so. So...the thumbnail thing for my .psd files is just one thing that is wrong but the biggest pain for deciding which photos I want to further edit. Makes my photo editing workflow a nightmare. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PERSISTANCE!

macOS Mojave - Failure w/thumbnail cache same problem with High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.