Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update exchange password on iOS12

Hi all...so this is rediculous. My company forces me to change my Exchange/Outlook password every 3 months for security reasons. Usually, I log into the company portal website, change my password, then go to my phone and change to the new password in the Mail/Exchange account settings so it can verify.

Well, now in iOS12 there is NO password field in Account settings OR the new Apps and Passwords settings. I have no way to change to the new password. Keychain doesn't have it...no warning banner near my unsent email messages...no prompt for a new password. Ugh. Googling says I have to delete the account and set it up again as a new account.

You have to be kidding me. Really? When did this all change?

Thanks.

Derrick

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2019 10:41 AM

Nope... the screen before has no password field anymore. Used to, but iOS12 got rid of it, or my new phone is wonky. Take a look... below is one page back from Advanced settings. VERY DIFFERENT from how it used to look. And no password field.

and let's go to the screen before that... No password here either. Some Googling says iOS 12 decided we don't need it, and I had to delete my account and start a new one so it would ask for my new password. Not cool.

[Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information]

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2019 10:41 AM in response to KiltedTim

Nope... the screen before has no password field anymore. Used to, but iOS12 got rid of it, or my new phone is wonky. Take a look... below is one page back from Advanced settings. VERY DIFFERENT from how it used to look. And no password field.

and let's go to the screen before that... No password here either. Some Googling says iOS 12 decided we don't need it, and I had to delete my account and start a new one so it would ask for my new password. Not cool.

Jan 8, 2019 10:40 AM in response to maguyver

So check this out...the only way to get to this screen again in iOS12 is to DELETE your account, and then set it up as new a NEW exchange account. Only then will you get Server, Domain, Username, and yes, a Password field. Once the account is active, all that info is hidden from you. Take a look...the screen you showed me (which I've known for years) finally showed up when setting up as a new account...

Dec 3, 2018 9:36 AM in response to DerrickO

I have 2 exchange accounts on iOS 12.1. For both of them I go to Settings/Passwords & Accounts. I then tap on the account name, then Account at the top. I then see the screen with email, server, domain, username, password, Description and Advanced Settings. I suspect a security setting in the company-supplied device management profile is suppressing that information on your phone. If that's the case then discuss it with your IT department, who may have done this deliberately to prevent changes to it or by accident. You can still delete the account and add it back. As it's an exchange account it will sync with the server automatically.

Dec 3, 2018 11:05 AM in response to lee165

I'm on Office365 so if this is the case for you, you may be updating the password via a website and not in the phone settings.

Additional info: After about an hour or so, I got a prompt on my phone that my Exchange password needed to be updated. Clicking on "Settings" brought me to an intersitial site that said something like login.windows.net and then an immediate redirect to our company Single Sign On login which reauthenticated me.

Dec 26, 2018 11:13 AM in response to lee165

Created an account to stop the speculation. This password field is gone for an Office 365 account with no SSO enable. I'm the I.T. guy.

Do not contact your IT department, contact Apple. Removing the account and re-adding is the solution we use. I recommend utilizing the Outlook App for Office 365. If you don't want the Outlook app..the above is the process when your password changes.

Jan 20, 2019 7:34 AM in response to DerrickO

Mmm... I had the same problem recently with remote accessing my work Exchange/Outlook account, as it suddenly stopped offering me the option to auto-update the password for this account in Settings for some weird reason whenever I changed th password at log-in. This started happening from when I installed iOS12. I’ve now updated iOS to 12.1.1 and and manually changed the password in Settings. I went to Settings > Passwords and Accounts > Websites and App Passwords (Touch ID to access list) > tap to select account from list > Password field was displayed under Username field > tap Edit (top right) > tap once on current saved password in Password field to bring cursor up and change > tap Done (top right). All was then well at account log-in.

However, if I change the password at log-in, for some reason I still don’t get a prompt to auto update in Settings, but only with this site/account - which is a mystery and frustrating, but at least I can now change it in Settings manually, which lasts for 2 months or so . If you’re not getting the Password field or the option to edit, I can’t explain it, so maybe contact Apple Support?.

Hope you get it sorted if you haven’t already done so.

Feb 18, 2019 11:12 AM in response to DerrickO

That did occur for me, as iPhone showed [Update Password] on my first iPhone. However, this did not happen for secondary iPhone or for my iPad, where mail has stopped flowing, calendars unsynced, and no means to change password - iOS trying to get too clever?(its been changed on a device don’t prompt any more?..)

Mar 13, 2019 3:13 AM in response to DerrickO

As the IT guy here I found this problem for the first time today. Some testing learned me that this is a thing between Single Sing On and the mail account.

When you manualy create an Exchange account on your phone (fill in the server name etc. yourself) you keep the option to change it afterwards.

If you choose the option "Log IN" when creating a new Exchange account we have log in on our ADFS server in the proces. THEN the option to change your password afterwards is gone in the account on your phone or pad. You have to wait for an pop-up (pushes from a server I think) that asks you to fill in your new password. Or remove and add the account of course...

Apr 1, 2019 6:49 AM in response to DerrickO

I believe you need to manage the Password, not the account.

In the Password & Accounts page, at the top of the page is "Website & App Passwords"

Go into this and search for your domain name, then change the passwords that need changing.

Make sure to force quit your Mail and Calendar, then load them up. It should take the new password.

Apr 1, 2019 6:57 AM in response to TonyPlack

The issue is that once the password has changed on the first device, there is no facility on other devices to adjust the password they are using to connect without a further change password, which would then reset for the first device. !!

the button to reset the password *being used by the device* as opposed to the cloud is dynamic, and disappears after the first change. Just upgraded to iOS 12.2 - let’s see if they fixed it.

My IT Dept suggested I had to remove the profile, on each device, and reinstate all the settings and cached email! It has been raised as an IOS bug.

Can't update exchange password on iOS12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.