Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not backing up since Mojave upgrade

Time Machine backup is failing since I upgraded my OS to Mojave10.14 yesterday. I have a 4tb Hitachi hard disk for backup, and it is not quite half full. Time Machine runs for a couple of minutes, updating about 370mb out of 540mb, then I get an error message suggesting that I run Disk Utility. I did so, and the Time Machine got a clean bill of health.

I don't know if the fact that I have been having problems with the computer running slowly is an issue here. I ran EtreCheck yesterday and discovered that my hard disk is failing. I ordered a new computer, arriving next week, and I would like to be able to have a complete backup to use when it arrives.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 6:02 AM

denisefrombay village wrote:

The Hitachi drive is 5 years old; I didn't realize that I've had it for that long until I checked. I'm guessing it's time for a new one, pronto.

Yup, that's what I suspect. Do yourself a favor and get an OWC Mercury Elite Pro. You can find them at OWC Mercury Elite Pro: Production-Grade External Hard Drive

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2018 6:02 AM in response to denisefrombay village

denisefrombay village wrote:

The Hitachi drive is 5 years old; I didn't realize that I've had it for that long until I checked. I'm guessing it's time for a new one, pronto.

Yup, that's what I suspect. Do yourself a favor and get an OWC Mercury Elite Pro. You can find them at OWC Mercury Elite Pro: Production-Grade External Hard Drive

Oct 20, 2018 6:25 AM in response to denisefrombay village

As it turns out, a new external hard drive did NOT solve the problem. Does it have anything to do with the fact that the iMac hard disk is in APFS format and the external disk is not? It wasn't a problem until the Mojave upgrade.

It took over $200 and three days to copy files and I am right back where I started. If I reformat the new hard drive will the backup have to be erased? Not sure where to go from here.

Time Machine not backing up since Mojave upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.