Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID is an invalid email address + iPad keeps asking for password for Apple ID that is not the invalid email but my valid email

In Settings, my iPhone and iPad both show the same Apple ID.

That Apple ID is an old, invalid work email address.

I am not reachable at that old address and haven’t been for quite some time.

Meanwhile - my iPad keeps asking me to enter the password for my Apple ID - but the Apple ID it is showing in the request is my working email address (a Gmail account). (The passwords for the two accounts - the Apple ID and my Gmail account - are different.)

1). I would like to resolve this conflict in Apple IDs.

and

2). I would like to go ahead and change my Apple ID to my current working email address.

What may be causing this conflict?

Is there any problem with changing the Apple ID to my Gmail address? How do I do that?

iPad 2, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 1:23 PM

It sounds like you have 2 different Apple IDs. One using your old work address and one using your current work address. If that is true, you can't merge the 2 Apple IDs. You can make a name change for the old ID, but you won't be able to use your current address. You will need a different address.

Apple ID Name Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 1:23 PM in response to desidog

It sounds like you have 2 different Apple IDs. One using your old work address and one using your current work address. If that is true, you can't merge the 2 Apple IDs. You can make a name change for the old ID, but you won't be able to use your current address. You will need a different address.

Apple ID Name Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Apple ID is an invalid email address + iPad keeps asking for password for Apple ID that is not the invalid email but my valid email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.