Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware bytes pop up in Safari after uninstall

Hi

I've an annoying Mawarebytes pop up after running uninstall. I downloaded and installed the free Malwarebytes tool and then decided I did not want to subscribe. I followed the Malwarebytes uninstall instructions and also permanently deleted any reference to malwarebytes programmes in trash. But I still get a pop up in the right hand top corner reminding me that 'a newer version' is available. This happens every time I open Safari. i've searched my hard drive and it shows no 'malwarebtes'.

How do I get rid of this annoying pop up? I'm running Safari version 12 and Mac OS High Sierra on a MacBook Air.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 7:48 AM

Did you use the uninstall instructions below?

Malwarebytes uninstall

If necessary, try their support for help.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2018 7:48 AM in response to Poppleton

Did you use the uninstall instructions below?

Malwarebytes uninstall

If necessary, try their support for help.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Oct 27, 2018 8:33 AM in response to Poppleton

Malwarebytes does not remove itself cleanly, by design - it misses big parts of some malware, and then uses some of the same tricks as the malware to stop you from removing it. I had an infestation with weknow.ac - malwarebytes didn't clear it up, and actually left more problems that took a week to correct - leaving this here in the hope that somebody will see it and not download this software. Uninstalling malwarebytes DOES NOT uninstall these other components, which are designed to annoy you until you download malwarebytes again.

To remove it, click the background, then the Go menu, then hold the Alt key (between control and command) to show the Library folder. Then you are going to have to go through and manually delete each part - it infests lots of folders - check them all for items that start with Malwarebytes or com.malwarebytes - get rid of those.

Oct 18, 2018 2:46 AM in response to Eric Root

HI I have the same issues but mine was not malware but instead its adobe flash player needs to be updated. then I after I updated installed and un installed what I downloaded annoying websites pop ups everyone and then. and I also can't go directly to the site I want to open. It will give me a notice that Safari can't open the page I'm trying to open. Can you help me on this 😟

Oct 29, 2018 12:45 PM in response to fuowufuoooofoofa

fuowufuoooofoofa wrote:

Malwarebytes does not remove itself cleanly, by design - it misses big parts of some malware, and then uses some of the same tricks as the malware to stop you from removing it.

That is absolutely not true.

Uninstalling Malwarebytes is simple. Open Malwarebytes, then choose Uninstall from the Help menu. That's it.

If you tried to uninstall by dragging the app to the trash, that is absolutely, 100% always the wrong way to uninstall any app that uses an installer, and many that don't. Always look for the correct uninstall procedure provided by the developer of any software you want to remove.

As for missing parts of malware, be aware that Malwarebytes removes malware and adware, but it does not attempt to fix the changes that such software may have made to your browser settings.

Malware bytes pop up in Safari after uninstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.