Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since Mojave update cannot print PDF to HP Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw

Since updating to Mojave, cannot print PDF files to HP Colour Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw. However, can print Word docs.

The PDF file size is 791.1kb and is sent to email, so can see on other devices. I was able to print this same PDF file from the iPad and also from our other Mac which runs High Sierra to the printer.

All three devices connect to the printer over Wifi.

I have installed the latest updates from HP site and still unable to print the 791.1kb PDF from Mojave Mac, however, have now just printed a 90kb PDF file, but still unable to print the 791.1kb PDF file.

Any ideas before the next update is a hammer.

Thanks

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), HP Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 2:02 PM

20 replies

Nov 27, 2018 1:06 PM in response to chrissiefromfaversham

I've had this problem as well and found a solution today that does not involve updating drivers or using Adobe Acrobat. It's actually rather simple, when printing use the drop down under Orientation in the print dialog. Select Color Matching and then choose In printer. Save this as a preset so that you can use it again. But, after this change your pdfs should print fine.

Oct 18, 2018 9:12 AM in response to louisemontaldo

Louise,

You are thread-jacking another post, and your issues may not be related at all to those of the OP.

Please start your own main post, so more eyes can respond to your specific issues. Follow the guidelines in the Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question, so that we have sufficient detail information to form an answer to your question.

Feb 2, 2019 8:53 AM in response to chrissiefromfaversham

Ever since upgrading to Mojave we have had serious email issues between the Mac email program and Microsoft Exchange accounts. Also not able to print Adobe PDFs. The jury is out regarding the email issue. Apple techs said they have never heard of this issue. Issue still happening intermittently. With the latest update we have not been able to print Adobe PDFs on our HP Laser Jet. After 4 days of research it turns out this is apparently a known issue. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed.

The Apple tech was great and able to talk me through the fix via screen share. Hope they fix it. The solution is:

1. Open Safari
  2. Go to advanced tab
  3. Remove check from Internet plug-ins box which stops plug-ins to save power.

Oct 19, 2018 7:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi, sorry i am not very knowledgeable about these internet forums, i'm just saying the what is happening to me. maybe someone found a solution. I don't even understand what thread-jacking is.

I also updated the print software for macos 10.14 from hp themselves

Maybe I should downgrade the operating system? this started happening after the upgrade.

Oct 21, 2018 1:23 PM in response to chrissiefromfaversham

Dear All,

I posted this same question on the HP Support Forum and a helpful MrRobot supplied a detailed step by step answer that worked. Please look there, as I have no wish to plagiarise his reply onto another forum, however, I will try link, not sure if this will work...

Solved: Re: Since update to Mojave, Mac will not print PDF to Laser ... - HP Support Forum - 6861402

Nov 21, 2018 6:54 PM in response to chrissiefromfaversham

WORKAROUND

Problem: I could not print Pdfs on my HP Pro MFP M277dw from one Mojave Mac but could print on another Mojave Mac.

The Mac connected directly to my LAN printed perfectly on everything. The Mac printing wirelessly COULD NOT print PDFs. Both Printers share the same updates. Both are on the same LAN. The HP firmware was current. Deleting and reinstalling the printer did not solve the problem on the wireless printing MAC.

Solution FOR ME: ADD a second MFP M277dw in preference linked to the same HP277 to my wireless printing Mojave Mac and default output to the AIRPRINT format.

WHY? The first printer w/o AirPrint output prints much faster on everything. So I use that printer most of the time. I change to the second printer for PDFs. When I get impatient on printout I change back to the M277 printer w/o output via AirPrint.

Dec 31, 2018 6:15 PM in response to chrissiefromfaversham

This is a general reply to connecting (during a host computer upgrade and the ensuing data/settings migration) an older MacMini working with HP M277 printer, to new iMac (not) working with the same printer. Both machines are running OSX 10.14.2 (Mojave). After getting several (incorrect) pieces of advice from AppleCare, the solution was to go into System Preferences, Printers and Scanners, and, on the right side of the panel after the word "Kind:" you'll see something like "Generic PCL printer" (I don't remember the exact text). What you want it to say is "Generic Postscript Printer". Make a written copy of the parameters you find. To get to postscript, you have to delete the current printer description by pressing the "-" button at the bottem-left of the "printers" list, and re-create the printer by pressing "+". Use all the same parameters as previously, but for "Kind" select the Postscript option. Complete the dialog, and try your printer. You might be amazed that it works properly!!

If you previously had the M277 working with an Apple product, DON'T get talked into upgrading the Firmware in the M277. Doing so introduces unnecessary variables. Good Luck. Please report results.

Since Mojave update cannot print PDF to HP Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.