Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address Book Notification, "Contacts are no longer updated by facebook" Keep / Delete?

Here's the problem - I don't know *** this is about. I have not had facebook contacts in my address book for years. I don't have any facebook accounts on my computers and do not have Facebook on my iPhone. My iMac and iPhone do not show this issue. I have a total of 500 contacts, I assume one is me.

My fear is that (1) if I choose to Keep them I'll have duplicates and (2) if I delete them I'll lose everything.

User uploaded file

Where would you like to keep your 499 Facebook contacts? iCloud or On My Mac. Keep or Delete?

Posted on Oct 12, 2018 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 11:31 PM

I had exactly the same problem so I contacted Apple in the UK, unfortunately they had no idea what was going on either! Rather than just blindly replying to the popup I exported all of my vCards from another Mac that was still on High Sierra in case I need to restore them, I was unable to do this under Mojave as the 'Contacts Are No Longer Updated by Facebook' popup prevents you from doing so. I then replied delete to the popup with the dropdown set to iCloud. I can confirm that in my case none of my contacts were deleted. I was very concerned about replying to this popup as I have nearly 1000 contacts. One thing to note is that I have never allowed Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter access to my contacts so was very surprised to get this message. Hope this is of some help.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2018 11:31 PM in response to Anthony Sbarro

I had exactly the same problem so I contacted Apple in the UK, unfortunately they had no idea what was going on either! Rather than just blindly replying to the popup I exported all of my vCards from another Mac that was still on High Sierra in case I need to restore them, I was unable to do this under Mojave as the 'Contacts Are No Longer Updated by Facebook' popup prevents you from doing so. I then replied delete to the popup with the dropdown set to iCloud. I can confirm that in my case none of my contacts were deleted. I was very concerned about replying to this popup as I have nearly 1000 contacts. One thing to note is that I have never allowed Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter access to my contacts so was very surprised to get this message. Hope this is of some help.

Nov 14, 2018 7:15 AM in response to Anthony Sbarro

my chat with support...

>>> I hope this helps answer the question for everyone. I still don't know what the "add to my Mac" option would have done but here you are...

It looks like recent updates have removed contact syncing between macOS/iOS and FaceBook. This seems to have been done because most people don’t keep in contact with all of their FaceBook friends, and syncing this causes clutter.

From here, we can choose whether we want to sync (add) the contacts to iCloud, and thus have them on any devices of yours syncing with iCloud, or to not have your FaceBook contacts sync with your devices.

The delete option would keep them on FaceBook, but remove them any FaceBook contacts from the device.

It may be that you had added the account previously, but not set up contact sync. If you didn’t have the FaceBook contacts listed in the Contacts app, that would be my expectation.

>>> I had no connection established between fb and anything on my mac except the safari keychain

>>> I chose delete and noticed no change to my contacts.

>>>> I asked the tech person to let the developers know this was a problem and that the wording was not sufficient.

Fantastic! I’m glad we were able to sort that out. I’m not personally able to contact the developers, but I definitely agree that was a frightening way to put it!

The great thing about Apple products is the continuing improvement that we seek for our customers. We offer a feedback page that allows customers to submit suggestion directly to the promotional teams that you can view at http://www.apple.com/feedback . They read all feedback and consider them when implementing future software, products, updates and promotions.

Address Book Notification, "Contacts are no longer updated by facebook" Keep / Delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.