Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp windows 10 without a USB

Hello, I've got a early 2015 macbook air running os x mojave. Based on this I should be able to run bootcamp without the need of a usb since they added the new feature and I seem to pass all the requirements(Install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support). When I open the Bootcamp Assistant it seems to be telling me otherwise sadly I only have a 4 gig usb(requires 16gigs). I was wondering if I had to do something to be able to get the menu that would let me bootcamp windows 10 without a usb key. I've already downloaded the iso file from microsoft website and tried running a virtual box but even after tweaking the settings it was still too sluggish for my taste.

I've found this older thread where Loner T was helping a guy in the first page of the thread. How to use bootcamp without a usb)

Anyhow, he eventually gave the rude guy(haha) a way to do it with a 1-2gig usb by burning the iso into a partition(which is often seen on cheap windows pc bought at bestbuy that come with the iso burned into a small partition to make it easier to reformat, etc). Anyhow, after trying to even start following the instructions, i've noticed that the first file that I need to copy on the smaller usb wasn't where it was mentionned which is probably because the post is from 3 years ago and they've changed how mac os works or where the file is located. It would probably be much easier if you could help me Loner T since I see you still answer questions even to this day since you wrote the solution in that thread above. Or you seemed very knowledgeable so maybe there is a way to install windows 10 via bootcamp on my version of macbook without having to burn the iso in a small partition.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 3:22 AM

Similar questions

20 replies

Oct 13, 2018 1:18 PM in response to helb0y

Your situation is different. The method in that link mimics the OSXRESERVED method used in late 2015 and later models. You can try that, but the challenge you have is booting from this OSXRESERVED-like partition, which causes your designated Windows partition to be unusable via the MBR, which supports only four entries.

If you do not have a USB larger than 4GB, the other option is to use Resolved - Install a Windows 7 partition on Mac OSX without Optical Drive or USB | MacRumors Forums , but it requires spending more money than what the 16Gb USB2 Flash drive costs.

You decide!

The Bootcamp Support files for W10 can be downloaded using BC Assistant -> Action -> Download.

Oct 13, 2018 11:40 AM in response to Loner T

So the link you sent explains exactly my issue, I'm getting the 2nd option(usb only with the 3 checkbox) when I want to have the 3rd option(no usb no dvd), my macbook air is a early 2015 with mojave installed which should enable me to have that option based on the requirements I found on the first link I posted in my initial post which links to apple's guide and requirements to be able to bootcamp via no usb nor dvd.

Oct 13, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Loner T

so all this isn't helping me then, have you read my first post? Please read the whole thing to understand the situation properly, in the 2nd link I posted you helped someone in my situation to bootcamp without a usb key. I tried to follow those instructions but the file in library/applications wasn't there.

Oct 13, 2018 1:56 PM in response to Loner T

that's a solution that would work but sadly one of the 4 programs needed is marked as legacy and isn't downloadable anymore : Paragon VMDK Mounter - Overview when I download it from another site and try to install I need to get a serial key from their site and it doesn't let me do it since the program is scratched. Is there a program that could replace what this one did.

EDIT : ACTUALLY FOUND A KEY SO DISREGUARD THIS MESSAGE.

Oct 13, 2018 5:34 PM in response to Loner T

Winclone was very easy to find for free when you know where to look 😉

I've ran into an error sadly, windows is installed with this method currently and when I start it, it loads and I get a blue screen saying inaccessable boot device. I've tried recloning the virtual image at different point in time such as cloning the imagine when it's about to restart the first time like recommended by the guide you gave me. I've also tried installing all windows update then cloning this windows.

Sadly, I get the same error and it's most likely a windows error at that point than a mac error so I doubt you'd be able to help me to get it to work. I'm going to try getting a windows 7 iso next to clone on the partition, possibly that will work since the guide was made for windows 7 and some have commented to have success with windows 8 but none have commented about windows 10. The only think I'm unsure about is the fact that the windows 7 would be a cracked version so I'm not sure if it'll work since it sometimes needs additional files to crack the iso. Probably shouldn't mention this here since it's the official apple site but oh well.

Oct 13, 2018 6:51 PM in response to helb0y

So I've just tried to do it with windows 7 and I get a different error ughhhh, when the mac boots on the windows partition the screen goes black and won't do anything which is probably because I don't have the right drivers which I have downloaded on the usb card but can't install until I get in the desktop of windows 7 right?

EDIT1 : I think I might of found the solution via this : http://klauskjeldsen.dk/boot-camp-imac-error-fix-black-screen/ will update if it works right after.

Bootcamp windows 10 without a USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.