Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Doubt - Bootcamp - Restart in Macos from Windows

Hello team,

I have a MBP MID 2012 (i7, 1tb SSD, 16gb RAM) with 2 partitions:

• The latest Windows 10 version + Paragon HFS for Windows.
  • The latest Macos High Sierra version with HFS+ format + Paragon HFS and NTFS for Mac.

Now, I am able to do the following:

Have read and write access to both drives, from Windows and Macos:

User uploaded file

I am able to Restart in Macos from the Bootcamp Control Panel:

User uploaded file

If I do a clean Mojave installation in the current HFS+ High Sierra Partition, I have read that this time we are no longer able to avoid the APFS conversion anymore (Can you update to macOS 10.14 (Mojave) without converting to APFS? - Ask Different) so I would like to know whether despite I proceed with the clean install of Mojave (plus APFS conversion) would lose the features mentioned before.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

Guille

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.1), Windows10 1067 (1493.447) Bootcamp

Posted on Oct 13, 2018 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2018 5:50 PM

Hi,

After a lot of hours of research, I have manage to make the BootCamp tool able to restart into an APFS macos (Mojave or High Sierra).

The feature I mean is the following:

User uploaded file

To do so, we have to take the following instructions:

1. Open Terminal and Launch diskutil list to see the partitions: (this is my case):

User uploaded file

2. Create the new volume with HFS+ format labeled "APFS Bridge":

a. It shrinks the APFS container (disk1) by 200 MB and creates the new 200 MB "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" volume labeled "APFS Bridge".

sudo diskutil ap resizeContainer disk1 177000M JHFS+ "APFS Bridge" 200M

3. Reboot macos.

4. Download the rEFInd Boot Manager from its web site (https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/).

5. Install it into the new "APFS Bridge" volume, by entering the following commands:

a. Supposing that the program is maintained in the Downloads folder.

b. Supposing that the mentioned disk is disk0s3.

cd ~/Downloads/refind-bin-0.11.4

./refind-install --ownhfs /dev/disk0s3

6. Go to Volumes/APFS Bridge/System/Library/CoreServices.

7. Open the refind.conf with the Textedit.app, then, add the following lines into the very end of the file. (This will maintain the mac BIOS instead the new rEFInd program):

#

# Added to make rEFInd silent.

#

menuentry "APFS Bridge" {

icon \System\Library\CoreServices\icons\os_mac.png

volume "Macintosh"

loader \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

ostype MacOS

graphics on

}

timeout -1

hideui all

scanfor manual

8. To avoid that the new Volume gets mounted, we have to launch the following lines in the Terminal:

a. Supposing that the Volume is named APFS Bridge. (The \040 is the octal representation of the space character and has to be maintained):

sudo bash

echo >>/etc/fstab

echo "LABEL=APFS\040Bridge none hfs rw,noauto" >>/etc/fstab

exit

And finally it works!!! and the Paragon is not needed to accomplish this.

Hope it helps.

Best regards

Eipok

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2018 5:50 PM in response to Loner T

Hi,

After a lot of hours of research, I have manage to make the BootCamp tool able to restart into an APFS macos (Mojave or High Sierra).

The feature I mean is the following:

User uploaded file

To do so, we have to take the following instructions:

1. Open Terminal and Launch diskutil list to see the partitions: (this is my case):

User uploaded file

2. Create the new volume with HFS+ format labeled "APFS Bridge":

a. It shrinks the APFS container (disk1) by 200 MB and creates the new 200 MB "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" volume labeled "APFS Bridge".

sudo diskutil ap resizeContainer disk1 177000M JHFS+ "APFS Bridge" 200M

3. Reboot macos.

4. Download the rEFInd Boot Manager from its web site (https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/).

5. Install it into the new "APFS Bridge" volume, by entering the following commands:

a. Supposing that the program is maintained in the Downloads folder.

b. Supposing that the mentioned disk is disk0s3.

cd ~/Downloads/refind-bin-0.11.4

./refind-install --ownhfs /dev/disk0s3

6. Go to Volumes/APFS Bridge/System/Library/CoreServices.

7. Open the refind.conf with the Textedit.app, then, add the following lines into the very end of the file. (This will maintain the mac BIOS instead the new rEFInd program):

#

# Added to make rEFInd silent.

#

menuentry "APFS Bridge" {

icon \System\Library\CoreServices\icons\os_mac.png

volume "Macintosh"

loader \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

ostype MacOS

graphics on

}

timeout -1

hideui all

scanfor manual

8. To avoid that the new Volume gets mounted, we have to launch the following lines in the Terminal:

a. Supposing that the Volume is named APFS Bridge. (The \040 is the octal representation of the space character and has to be maintained):

sudo bash

echo >>/etc/fstab

echo "LABEL=APFS\040Bridge none hfs rw,noauto" >>/etc/fstab

exit

And finally it works!!! and the Paragon is not needed to accomplish this.

Hope it helps.

Best regards

Eipok

Nov 16, 2018 2:51 AM in response to eipok

What I actually don't want to lose is the ability of Restart in Macos from the Bootcamp Control Panel. I fear this because this BootCamp tool, as far as I know, is only compatible with HFS not with APFS. Is this right? Will I lose this feature when I install the Mojave, obligating to change the macos partition from HFS to APFS?

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

Nov 16, 2018 8:33 AM in response to Loner T

Hello Loner T,

Thanks for your answer, but I would like to see a more specific evidence of the loss of the feature I am talking about, i.e. to make BootCamp software compatible with the reboot into macos.

Regarding the Paragon APFS software is not exactly what I want, as I stated before, because I just want native Bootcamp feature work, despite now I have the HFS Paragon one installed, but I doesn't have the feature of reboot in macos as the Bootcamp software has.

Does anybody have any specific experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

Nov 21, 2018 9:30 AM in response to eipok

Thankyou so much. I googled so many times looking for this solution. I recently setup my 2009 Mac Pro with Mac OS Mojave and decided to dual boot with Windows again, but this time I installed it through EFI. As legacy always seemed to drastically slow down the HDD loading times.

So many people are looking for this solution. I only stumbled across your thread.

Because my Mac Pro is designed to boot bootcamp legacy it doesn't work when I try and switch from Mac OS. I have a unique issue not being able to use option boot screen either. I can boot to it either resetting my pram and putting Windows in the 1st HDD bay.

I just wanted to ask if you think I could use your solution using refind to boot Windows from a bridge partition also. Since it's EFI and boots it like a Mac partition, say in select Startup disk and select a HFS bridge partition and point that back to Windows to work the same way?

Do you think it's possible?

Nov 22, 2018 4:00 AM in response to Daletanium

Hello Daletanium,

First of all, it is not my solution, I brought it from here: windows 10 - Windows10 - Bootcamp Could not locate the macOS boot volume - mac partition unknown - Super User

But I rewrote it to make it more understandable.

Regarding your question, I really don't understand your problem... But I have to say that pure technically speaking, I am not very sure what it is doing behind, but somehow, the file /Volumes/APFS Bridge/System/Library/CoreServices/refind.conf, is pointing the APFS Bridge to the main Macintosh drive, for the Bootcamp Windows tool, when click on Restart in OSX option, point via rEFInd to the APFS Bridge.

But I that is all... And I don't have any idea of how to help you...

Sorry mate.

Regards

Nov 22, 2018 6:22 AM in response to Daletanium

Daletanium wrote:

Because my Mac Pro is designed to boot bootcamp legacy it doesn't work when I try and switch from Mac OS. I have a unique issue not being able to use option boot screen either. I can boot to it either resetting my pram and putting Windows in the 1st HDD bay.

Is this related to a unsupported GPU being used?

Daletanium wrote:

I just wanted to ask if you think I could use your solution using refind to boot Windows from a bridge partition also. Since it's EFI and boots it like a Mac partition, say in select Startup disk and select a HFS bridge partition and point that back to Windows to work the same way?

Do you think it's possible?

Is your macOS partition an APFS Container with relevant volumes? Post the output of

diskutil list

Mojave Doubt - Bootcamp - Restart in Macos from Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.