Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden muffled sound on imac

My computer is an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and I've got a problem of sudden muffled sound from the built in speakers.
Sound through headphones is fine. I did a clean install of OS X to an external USB drive to see if the issue was software related, but it's exactly the same when running out of the box software with nothing else installed.

To describe the sound, I would liken it to having no mid and high range frequencies.

Given that the sound via headphones is ok, I would think the actual audio chip is ok, and the speakers themselves have failed. Th only other suggestion would be the disconnect that occurs when unplugging the headphone socket, although I would think this is probably ok as I can't see why I would be getting low frequencies, but not mids and highs.

Anyone got any suggestions?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 6:29 AM

You could try resetting the SMC. How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 15, 2018 5:56 AM in response to dialabrain

I can't afford to be without the machine for even a day as I am a freelance web developer with deadlines to meet. I'm now running from an external SSD via thunderbolt instead of the internal drive. When the machine dies completely it'll go in the skip. Given the state of Apples current lineup, I won't be buying from them again. Non removable storage on Macbook, poor heat management solution on iMac doesn't sound much like innovation to me.

Sudden muffled sound on imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.