Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder / Folder Content not refreshing when copying and creating files.

This seems to be a new issue since upgrading to Mojave:

When I move a large number of photos from one folder to another folder, Finder does not refresh the content in either folder! This happens on the local APFS Fusion Drive of a 2017 iMac 5k.

Also ... I use a couple of different programs (from the App Store) to create mosaic photos and time lapse movies. The folders where these newly created images and movies are stored are not updated in Finder, either.

I can clearly see all changes instantly when using ls -al in Terminal. So the files are there!

I have to use " > Force Quit ... > Finder > Relaunch" to force the content to refresh in Finder.

This is getting annoying. Any idea how to set Finder to refresh automatically WITHOUT relaunching it?

(Actually, I have made a small App with Automator to refresh contents of Network folder (a known issue), but why would I need to do that on the local hard drive?!)

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2019 12:18 PM

I made a reproduction video and logged an official bug (https://bugreport.apple.com/web/?problemID=48545365) not sure if people will actually be able to view it except Apple people.

Nobody's looked at the bug even though I logged it a week ago, sad.

Here's a link to the video showing the bug, at https://youtu.be/s8J0PSgxd4A

30 replies

Apr 17, 2019 7:33 AM in response to VR1

I'm experiencing all of the above plus my sidebar just decided to stop showing Documents, Downloads, Desktop + more folders. Seriously considering getting a Surface Laptop now.

***** I updated to latest and it's even worse. 10.14.4.

Files aren't appearing in Downloads or Desktop in most Finder windows. Seriously this hasn't been fixed yet.

Sometimes reselecting Date Added or Date Modified filter will temporarily refresh it to display newly created files but most times it doesn't.

Also no cover flow since High Sierra and no option to increase image thumbnail size like in Windows Explorer.

Windows Explorer is like a decade more advanced than whatever Apple is doing with Finder, it's so sad because I value the UNIX command line and vector graphics rendering so much but this issue is making me so unproductive with my work.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 29, 2019 1:58 PM in response to macobs30

I have noticed this a couple of months ago, but could not find anyone else talking about it online so assumed it was just me.

That finder is not reliably indicating the contents of folder is deeply concerning to anyone who values their files. The way you treat an empty folder is quite different to how you treat one filled with valuable content.

In the following gif I am able to list files in terminal that are not showing in Finder.

https://twitter.com/shdli/status/1058489830135476225

Running open -R [filename] on the file then makes the file appear in Finder. I recall the difference between the hidden and unhidden file was in one of the extended attributes, but will have to update this post when I reproduce it.

Mar 10, 2019 11:54 AM in response to alesser

Same problem here, since I got my brand new MBP 2018 a month ago. When downloading and copying files on the hard drive for a while (images and font files in my case, speaking as a designer) at some point Finder just won't update anymore and not show them. Having to go through relaunches.

Can't believe these issues with brand new machines retailing at over €3000,-. The machine has also switched itself off overnight a couple of times already although being plugged in ("Your computer was shut down because of a problem" - ah right, in sleepy standby mode, eh?) and I've had huge Bluetooth issues too. It's such a massive quality difference to my last MBP Late-2013, which ran like a true pro until I got this new one. Apple, sort this out and show yourself worth the premium we pay you!

Mar 10, 2019 12:24 PM in response to alesser

Wow, thanks a lot for your efforts. This is exactly what we've been experiencing.

Clearly it's also NOT due to hardware, as this is being experienced by people like myself with brand new MBPs and those with older machines from the past years.

I really wonder what the 'community mods' on here are doing aside from making snide and wisecracking remarks at people reporting bugs and problems. If no one has even looked at your bug reporting, what can we say?

On the other hand, the issue has been remarked upon on a couple of other threads as a side incident next to other more pressing problems.

Mar 10, 2019 1:01 PM in response to alesser

Thanks for your input, I'll try anything if it resolves this issue coming up thrice daily (like today) during intense workflows - when you really don't want to interrupt what you're doing and close all your Finder tabs and windows for a relaunch.

Generally speaking we need a REAL fix though, how can a bug of that severity even be allowed to happen? Moving and downloading folders and them not showing up AT ALL, not even when opening new windows or tabs. Only relieved through brutal 'Force quit' relaunches, several times a day...

Finder / Folder Content not refreshing when copying and creating files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.