Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

about this mac storage

Afternoon all,

I am a little confused with the following screen grab:User uploaded file

I believe that the 347.71 amount is correct but look at this bar???? I have 35% of my drive available in free space but this bar looks like 10% at best.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Before you all ask, system specs:

User uploaded file

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 8:36 AM

7 replies

Oct 15, 2018 9:41 AM in response to NorthLondonChris

The Storage tab is known to report incorrectly.Also check by choosing your Mac HD and "Get Info" (command-i). It may be different. Try rebuilding Spotlight index.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Some of the space may also be from Time Machine Snapshots.

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

After you've freed up some space download Omni DiskSweeper:

https://www.omnigroup.com/more

DiskSweeper can give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. Itcan also show you the precise size and location of all your files. It will inventory your disk starting from the files that take up the most space. If you want you can even delete files from OmniDisk Sweeper. But be careful some of the items may be important to your system.

Check Mail menu > Window > Connection Doctor. If you have check marked “Log connection activity” turn it off.

For information about the Other category in the Storage display, please see Apple Support Topic

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202867

Also, empty the Trash if you haven't already done so. If you use iPhoto, empty its internal Trash first:

iPhoto Empty Trash

In Photos: File Show Recently Deleted Delete All

Oct 15, 2018 10:38 AM in response to macjack

I know which files are taking up space (OCD organised iMac) my issue is that the storage tab under 'about this mac' is not showing up the correct reading on the bar.

Its showing 700gb in documents even though I am only using 650gb total on a 1TB drive. I am trying to work out how to fix this as its been going on since High sierra, I just didn't care then as I assumed it would be fixed. Now it's annoying though as it's still not resolved.

I have even sent spotlight / system diagnostics to Apple to resolve it but no change.

about this mac storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.