Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Storage Info Wrong

When I go to my Storage tab, it says that I have about 245 GB available of 245 GB:

However using the Get Info on my Macintosh HD, it actually says that it's used about 155 GB:

Mac Info

• Model: MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

I've tried First Aid in Recovery Mode; didn't work.

Is this a minor glitch or something to be concerned about?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 1:34 PM

I've tried both methods in isolation 3 - 4 times; after restarting though, it still displays the incorrect storage size. Since all of my data is synced to the cloud, I could always do a clean reinstall of Mac OS; however, since this seems just like a cosmetic issue, I'll let it be.

Thanks for your help my ginger.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 1:34 PM in response to my ginger

I've tried both methods in isolation 3 - 4 times; after restarting though, it still displays the incorrect storage size. Since all of my data is synced to the cloud, I could always do a clean reinstall of Mac OS; however, since this seems just like a cosmetic issue, I'll let it be.

Thanks for your help my ginger.

Feb 24, 2022 10:37 AM in response to timeus99

Have you restarted your computer since reindexing? You could try going to spotlight and starting another re-index. If you do, do not run the terminal command. You can do one or the other, but not both. If spotlight is re-indexing. Clicking on spotlight in the top right ,should show a progress bar in spotlight.https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-wrong-hard-drive-data-usage-calculation-osx/ Usually the problem is incorrect reading of space in other. Which show a full drive when it's not. Your seems to not be calculating the space used. If at first you don't succeed, try again. Right.

Mar 1, 2022 2:34 PM in response to timeus99

Try this. Right click on your Hard Drive and choose Get Info. It should open on the left side of your screen. May take a minute to calculate. Will show, capacity, available and used. This should be more accurate. Somehow spotlight is not indexing as it should. Now you have to remember that when spotlight does index. It can, depending on how much or how big your drive is, take awhile.

System Storage Info Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.