Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Smart Keyboard turn the ipad OFF or just put it to sleep when closed?

This may be an idiotic question, but does the Smart Keyboard turn the ipad OFF or just put it to sleep when the cover is closed?

I have the iPad Pro 10.5 and the Smart Keyboard. When the cover is closed, I know the iPad goes to sleep and it's locked. But is it OFF? I do not believe it is so at night, or when I'm not going to use it for a long time I use the power button to turn it off.

A friend disagrees.

What's the difference between sleeping and OFF? I have this issue on my mind because the clear-back-protective-cover I have on the iPad (compatible with the keyboard) is so stiff I can't even access the Power button. Obviously, I need a different back cover but that's a different question.)

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 10:01 AM

The iPad is only OFF if you completely and very deliberately shut down. To do so, you must either:

1) press and hold the Main Power Button - or

2) from Settings, select General > Shut Down

- then move the on-screen slider to Power Off.

The Smart Cover (and similar third party cases with the appropriate feature) will lock the iPad and switch-off the screen - but maintain background activites such as retreiving email if configured to do so (call this sleeping if you wish).

So, you are correct - and your friend needs to read his/her manual :-)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2018 10:01 AM in response to PatsyKB51

The iPad is only OFF if you completely and very deliberately shut down. To do so, you must either:

1) press and hold the Main Power Button - or

2) from Settings, select General > Shut Down

- then move the on-screen slider to Power Off.

The Smart Cover (and similar third party cases with the appropriate feature) will lock the iPad and switch-off the screen - but maintain background activites such as retreiving email if configured to do so (call this sleeping if you wish).

So, you are correct - and your friend needs to read his/her manual :-)

Does the Smart Keyboard turn the ipad OFF or just put it to sleep when closed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.