Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the pixel resolution in iMovie 10?

I would like to create a movie with the highest possible resolution, but I cannot find a way to set this parameter. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Oct 14, 2018 10:59 AM

3 replies

Oct 14, 2018 11:48 AM in response to scarpeneri

Hi,

The resolution is determined by the camera settings that you used to shoot the footage. iMovie will set the resolution of a project to match the resolution of the first clip that is placed into a newly created project. After setting the resolution you can delete the first clip that you placed. When you share out the movie the selection box will give you the option to share out at the resolution that you set, along with a couple of other lower resolution options.

However, if for example you place a 720 resolution video into a project that has been set at 1080, you will be able to share it out at 1080, but upscaling to a higher resolution than the resolution in which the footage was shot seldom yields good results.

-- Rich

How do I change the pixel resolution in iMovie 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.