Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music albums not grouping correctly in iTunes on iPhone

Several people have reported the problem that in recent versions of iTunes on iPhone some songs are not grouped correctly as albums, even when the tags are complete and correct.

For me, the following was the simplest workaround that I found, and as as far as I can tell it has not been mentioned yet (apologies in advance if I overlooked it):

I noticed that in the case of albums that don't sort correctly, in the "sorting" tab the "artist" field entry is grey, ie it was entered automatically, which is normally enough, and iTunes for OS X interprets it correctly.

If you add it again manually (as you would normally only do if you want it sorted differently for some reason), then the songs will be grouped correctly on iPhone as well.

Annoying to have to do that for lots of albums, but it works and perhaps it also helps to identify the cause of the problem.

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 15, 2018 12:46 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 16, 2018 5:53 AM in response to aplantage

If iTunes shows multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Get Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen iTunes between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my iTunes Match library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that iTunes wanted to keep separate start typing a value and let iTunes autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Oct 16, 2018 6:11 AM in response to turingtest2

PS NB that people write that this only happens on iPhone, ie the SAME albums group fine when in iTunes on the Mac, but don't anymore when copied, and even when copied via iTunes.

As I explained, when I checked the tags of the files on the phone, there were still correct, only that the sorting fields don't seem to be interpreted correctly unless manually entered again or forcing iTunes to do it by deleting them.

Oct 16, 2018 6:45 AM in response to turingtest2

If you can believe it, until recently I was still quite content with an iPhone 4s, and now that I've switched to an iPhone SE that I picked up cheap, this is the first problem I encountered with iTunes. Fortunately, I don't listen to music much at all on the phone, because it drains the battery too fast, but since they stopped making iPods, I might have to get used to that too sometime ...

Music albums not grouping correctly in iTunes on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.