Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating recurring named folders with Automator

Hello,

I want to use Automator to create multiple folders with the name based on the name of the first file.

I have a list of files like this:

ABT_001.jpg

ABT_002.jpg

ABT_003.jpg

ABT_004.jpg

ABT_005.jpg

ABU_001.jpg

ABU_002.jpg

ABU_003.jpg

ABU_004.jpg

ABU_005.jpg

ABV_001.jpg

ABV_002.jpg

ABV_003.jpg

ABV_004.jpg

ABV_005.jpg

ABX_001.jpg

ABX_002.jpg

ABX_003.jpg

ABX_004.jpg

ABX_005.jpg

I would like to place the ABT files in a folder named ABT the ABU files in a folder names ABU the ABV files in a folder named ABV.

Of course I have the option in finder to make a new folder with selection and rename the folder BUT when you have hundreds of folders to make this can be pretty boring.

So I tried to use Automator but it looks like it is unable to make a folder based on a PORTION of the name of the files you choose to be in it.

Anyone can help me with this?

Thank you in advance.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 6:14 PM

Here is a Ruby script (scrollable) that can replace the boilerplate in the standard Automator Run Shell Script action. If you have two actions in an Automator application workflow:

• Finder library : Ask for Finder Items
    • Select single parent folder for the enclosing folder of the files you want to organize
  • Automator library : Run Shell Script
    • Shell: /usr/bin/ruby
    • Pass in: As Arguments
    • Remove the default boilerplate Bash for loop in the Run Shell Script action and replace it with the following Ruby code
  • #!/usr/bin/ruby """ pf.rb - Using the first three characters of the filenames make new folders with these strings, and then move every file with matching first three characters into its corresponding folder. Usage: ./pf.rb parent folder passed in from command-line or Automator Reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8586956 Tested: macOS 10.14.0 with System Ruby version Version: 1.2 Author: VikingOSX, 2018-10-16, Apple Support Communities, No warranties of any kind. """ require 'fileutils' require 'set' newfolders = Set.new allfiles = Set.new these_files = [] regex = /\A([A-Z]{3})(?=_)/ afolder = File.expand_path(ARGV.first) # get an ordered set of new folder names from the filenames Dir.glob("#{afolder}/*.{jpg,jpeg,jp2}").sort.each do |f| newfolders << regex.match(File.basename(f)).captures.join allfiles << f end # make the new folders, and move matching files into them newfolders.each do |f| FileUtils.mkdir(File.join(afolder, f)) these_files = allfiles.grep(/#{f}/) these_files.map do |x| FileUtils.mv(x, File.join(afolder, f.to_s, File.basename(x))) end end

I tested this as a standalone Terminal script, and as an Automator application. I used your list of filenames as the test files, and the matching files were moved into the correct folders.

Similar questions

4 replies
    Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2018 6:14 PM in response to sgflaviu

Here is a Ruby script (scrollable) that can replace the boilerplate in the standard Automator Run Shell Script action. If you have two actions in an Automator application workflow:

• Finder library : Ask for Finder Items
    • Select single parent folder for the enclosing folder of the files you want to organize
  • Automator library : Run Shell Script
    • Shell: /usr/bin/ruby
    • Pass in: As Arguments
    • Remove the default boilerplate Bash for loop in the Run Shell Script action and replace it with the following Ruby code
  • #!/usr/bin/ruby """ pf.rb - Using the first three characters of the filenames make new folders with these strings, and then move every file with matching first three characters into its corresponding folder. Usage: ./pf.rb parent folder passed in from command-line or Automator Reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8586956 Tested: macOS 10.14.0 with System Ruby version Version: 1.2 Author: VikingOSX, 2018-10-16, Apple Support Communities, No warranties of any kind. """ require 'fileutils' require 'set' newfolders = Set.new allfiles = Set.new these_files = [] regex = /\A([A-Z]{3})(?=_)/ afolder = File.expand_path(ARGV.first) # get an ordered set of new folder names from the filenames Dir.glob("#{afolder}/*.{jpg,jpeg,jp2}").sort.each do |f| newfolders << regex.match(File.basename(f)).captures.join allfiles << f end # make the new folders, and move matching files into them newfolders.each do |f| FileUtils.mkdir(File.join(afolder, f)) these_files = allfiles.grep(/#{f}/) these_files.map do |x| FileUtils.mv(x, File.join(afolder, f.to_s, File.basename(x))) end end

I tested this as a standalone Terminal script, and as an Automator application. I used your list of filenames as the test files, and the matching files were moved into the correct folders.

creating recurring named folders with Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.