Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact names but no cards on iMac

My contacts on my iMac have names but no cards. They are fine on my iPad and iPhone and in iCloud but missing on the desktop. Running High Sierra on desk top and IOS 12.0.1 on devices. I've tried unchecking Contacts in iCloud System Prefs, rebooting and re-checking, says it's setting up but makes no difference. Any clues gratefully received. Thanks.

Steve

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 1:57 PM

Try going to iCloud.com using a computer to see if the items are there and whether they are from the device or the computer. That should show whether the device or the computer isn't syncing. If the computer, try going to System Preferences/iCloud and stop syncing. Wait a couple of minutes, then recheck syncing. If the device, go to Settings/Your Name/iCloud and do the above. As a last resort, you can also try signing out of iCloud and then sign in again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2018 1:57 PM in response to Treffynnon

Try going to iCloud.com using a computer to see if the items are there and whether they are from the device or the computer. That should show whether the device or the computer isn't syncing. If the computer, try going to System Preferences/iCloud and stop syncing. Wait a couple of minutes, then recheck syncing. If the device, go to Settings/Your Name/iCloud and do the above. As a last resort, you can also try signing out of iCloud and then sign in again.

Oct 21, 2018 9:41 AM in response to Treffynnon

You are welcome. Something else to try. Quit Contacts. Copy the following Path and paste it into Go To Folder in the Finder (Go menu).

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

Click Go

When the AddressBook folder opens, find these three files and delete them.

addressbook-v22.abcddb

addressbook-v22.abcddb-shm

addressbook-v22.abcddb-wal

Open Contacts and see if your contacts will populate after allowing for some sync time. If they do, delete the files from the Trash.

Oct 26, 2018 6:34 AM in response to Eric Root

Tried that too. No joy! I am completely baffled by this situation. I don't know if there is a link but this occurred after upgrading my MacBook to Mojave and my phone and iPad to IOS 12; the iMac with the problem is still running High Sierra and I can't upgrade it 'cos of its age. All the other devices sync perfectly. It may just be a red herring or coincidence...

Contact names but no cards on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.