Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay Keeps Disconnecting - iPhone XS Max

From unresolved thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8565708?answerId=34032973022#34032973022

Tried deleting Google Maps, tried with WiFi turned off, and seems like from what others have posted is that calls trigger the disconnect. APPLE PLEASE HELP!!! iOS 12.0.1 did not fix this issue.

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 9:24 AM

I’ve been wrestling with this problem now for exactly one month. Here’s a status update and a list of all the things that have failed to solve the problem for me.

• iPhone: XS Max / 256 GB / AT&T / gold
  • iOS: 12.0 to 12.1*
  • car: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
  • CarPlay: built-in
  • connection: Apple Lightning-to-USB connector (1 m)
  • symptoms: intermittent disconnections, each lasting between eight and twenty seconds, with no discernible pattern. Usually begins after a few minutes of use. Rarely can go as long as twenty minutes without it happening. Connection returns without user action, then disconnection repeats.

Here are the remedies I’ve tried that have not succeeded:

• hard reset
  • complete wipe and reinstall from backup
  • complate wipe and reinstall as new
  • replacement unit from Apple Store
  • different versions of iOS. (*Note: Apparently, I’m not allowed to mention the use of any unreleased versions of iOS. An earlier post of mine was deleted for that reason. So I can’t tell you that I’ve tried the final, signed version of 12.0 as well as the public releases 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the — let’s use a different word — “bagel” of 12.1.)
  • deleting Google Maps from CarPlay and the iPhone
  • turning off Wi-Fi on the iPhone (from the Wi-Fi settings, as well as from the Control Center)
  • turning off Bluetooth on the iPhone
  • turning off both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the iPhone
  • turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the car
  • different cables, including the Audi OEM cable
  • cleaning the USB ports
  • reinitializing the Audi MMI system
  • avoiding the use of Waze
  • avoiding the use of the iPhone as a telephone
  • Genius Bar
  • Apple feedback site

I think that’s everything. What have I missed? Please feel free to reply with other potential remedies. Please make sure to include the car and model, the iPhone model, and the iOS version. Thanks!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2018 9:24 AM in response to SpEe521

I’ve been wrestling with this problem now for exactly one month. Here’s a status update and a list of all the things that have failed to solve the problem for me.

• iPhone: XS Max / 256 GB / AT&T / gold
  • iOS: 12.0 to 12.1*
  • car: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback
  • CarPlay: built-in
  • connection: Apple Lightning-to-USB connector (1 m)
  • symptoms: intermittent disconnections, each lasting between eight and twenty seconds, with no discernible pattern. Usually begins after a few minutes of use. Rarely can go as long as twenty minutes without it happening. Connection returns without user action, then disconnection repeats.

Here are the remedies I’ve tried that have not succeeded:

• hard reset
  • complete wipe and reinstall from backup
  • complate wipe and reinstall as new
  • replacement unit from Apple Store
  • different versions of iOS. (*Note: Apparently, I’m not allowed to mention the use of any unreleased versions of iOS. An earlier post of mine was deleted for that reason. So I can’t tell you that I’ve tried the final, signed version of 12.0 as well as the public releases 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the — let’s use a different word — “bagel” of 12.1.)
  • deleting Google Maps from CarPlay and the iPhone
  • turning off Wi-Fi on the iPhone (from the Wi-Fi settings, as well as from the Control Center)
  • turning off Bluetooth on the iPhone
  • turning off both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the iPhone
  • turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the car
  • different cables, including the Audi OEM cable
  • cleaning the USB ports
  • reinitializing the Audi MMI system
  • avoiding the use of Waze
  • avoiding the use of the iPhone as a telephone
  • Genius Bar
  • Apple feedback site

I think that’s everything. What have I missed? Please feel free to reply with other potential remedies. Please make sure to include the car and model, the iPhone model, and the iOS version. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2018 5:24 PM in response to jayshep

I finally got frustrated of getting into my 2018 Q7 and dealing with the CarPlay issue with the iPhone XS Max and searched out this topic I’m glad I’m not alone. Apple needs to fix this ASAP! My wife’s iPhone X works perfectly. I even got a replacement device and it still did the same thing.

(2018 Audi Q7 and iPhone XS Max 256gb)

Nov 1, 2018 3:52 AM in response to daverse

I think I can confirm on my end, for 3 days now I’ve been using a usb voltage meter and no disconnects. If I remove the meter and plug straight in, it disconnects. It must be some kind of power management issue. 12.1 did not address this either. For those having the same issue, I got a $5 usb voltage meter off of Amazon (Prime shipping too) and that should be a good temp fix to alleviate some frustration until Apple finally addresses this issue.

Nov 28, 2018 6:57 PM in response to SpEe521

So I have an xs max and a new 2019 bmw x4 which doesn’t use a usb cable to connect to CarPlay, it uses the car’s WiFi, same problem everyone else here is reporting with the disconnects so the thought to add the usb metering wouldn’t solve anything since I’m not plugged into anything :( anxiously following because as it stands right now going to delete my phone as a CarPlay device and go back to regular Bluetooth unfortunately because I can’t stand my screen flashing like crazy and music stops and starts.

CarPlay Keeps Disconnecting - iPhone XS Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.