Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Name in contact won't populate in Messages

Why doesn't my wife's name and iPhone number come up when I type her name in the "To" area of Messages? She is in my contacts, she has a iPhone... I can type in her phone number and it will eventually connect, but seems rather odd that I'm only experiencing this with this contact (my wife's!)

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 12:49 PM

Humm,

~/Library/Messages does not contain anything to do with Jabber accounts.

~/Library/Preferences contains a file called com.apple.ichat.Jabber.plist which does hold some info about Jabber accounts that you may have in Messages. This may include GoogleTalk as they run a Jabber server for this.

There is also a file in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Messages that contains a Pictures folder which are the Buddy List Pictures that will show up if you have Jabber Buddies.
Another is in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iChat that holds a JabberCaps.plist This is an old file that holds XMPP/Jabber protocol info and whether the App can still Video and Audio Chat.

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points

Thanks you also for the feedback and the info.

User uploaded file

7:34 pm Tuesday; October 30, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 MacBookPro 15" 2016 (High Sierra 10.13.x)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2018 12:49 PM in response to Ugot

Humm,

~/Library/Messages does not contain anything to do with Jabber accounts.

~/Library/Preferences contains a file called com.apple.ichat.Jabber.plist which does hold some info about Jabber accounts that you may have in Messages. This may include GoogleTalk as they run a Jabber server for this.

There is also a file in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Messages that contains a Pictures folder which are the Buddy List Pictures that will show up if you have Jabber Buddies.
Another is in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iChat that holds a JabberCaps.plist This is an old file that holds XMPP/Jabber protocol info and whether the App can still Video and Audio Chat.

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points

Thanks you also for the feedback and the info.

User uploaded file

7:34 pm Tuesday; October 30, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 17, 2018 12:00 PM in response to Ugot

Hi,

In Contacts is your wife the only one that does not have a Country Code included as part of her number ?

User uploaded file

8:00 pm Wednesday; October 17, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 30, 2018 10:21 AM in response to Ugot

Hi,

Do you happen to be sharing an Apple ID ?

As a result do both of your appear on the My Card in the Contacts app ?

In Messages your can not enter your own Name in to "To" spot as the My Card is not called up.

You are not expected to call yourself.

If you want to test between your Mac and your iPhone then you must enter the iPhone number in full.

If the My Card and your wife's card have the same Apple ID the Contacts app will not be able to work out which card is needed.

User uploaded file

7:42 pm Saturday; October 20, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 30, 2018 10:30 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you again for your assistance, Ralph. Your suggestions make sense, but our Apple ID's are not shared, and only my contact info was stored as an "My Card..." that was not the source of the problem. After searching through my accounts, and ID's and trying everything I could think of (including what you suggested) I finally called Apple to get some help... three calls later, and after being moved to a Supervisor, and four hours of help the problem got solved.

It appears there was a corrupted file in Messages -- or should I say in "Library" under Messages. It appears that it was connected with the Jabber files. Goodness knows I did not fully understand what I was helped through solving the problem, but am thankful the issue is solved. I wonder if the four hours invested was appropriate for such a small nagging problem, however, it is nice that Messages on my iMac works correctly again!

Name in contact won't populate in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.