Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Contacts Issue

Hey All,

We have an odd issue happening with my wife’s iPhone. For some reason, it is combining the text messages of two different numbers and contacts into one message thread.

So, whenever I send my wife a text or my sister sends her a text, it combines them. She never knows who she is replying to. Obviously, it’s a real problem when she accidentally texts my sister something that is meant for me.

We have tried deleting both contacts and starting from scratch. No matter what we try, the contacts end up sharing identical names and combining themselves into one thread.

My wife has an iPhone 8+ with software version 13.3 - this has been an issue with previous versions too, but she didn’t bring it to my attention until recently.

thanks for your help.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 6:54 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 16, 2020 7:19 PM in response to Terapid

First thing I would check is if the two contacts are linked somehow. Open the Contacts app and select one of the contacts. Then tap on Edit in the upper right corner. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and see if that contact is linked with the other contact. (If under LINKED CONTACTS it simply says link contacts... with a plus sign sign ion front, then it is NOT linked. Tap Cancel in the upper left corner. f it shows there is a link, then unlink it and tap on Done in the upper right corner.

The only other thing I can think of is are you using local and/or iCloud Contacts and are they consistent. Tap on Settings -> [your name] -> iCloud and see if Contacts is selected. You can try unselecting it and see if the problem goes away. (You may have to turn your iPhone off & on first for the changes to take effect. Then try reselecting it if you want your contacts stored in the cloud.

BTW - You each have your own unique Apple IDs. correct?

iPhone Contacts Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.