Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Bootcamp in Mojave.

Hi,

I have a MBP mid 2012 with Mojave and am trying to install windows 10 but am not able to create a boot camp partition of more than 43gb even though there is more than 250gb of free space. I could install the same with High Sierra but after upgrading to Mojave I could select boot into Mac OS from the bootcamp options in windows, made a mistake of trying to re install bootcamp again. Is there a way to allocate a space of 100gb for the windows 10 bootcamp or will one have to wait for Apple to release an update for the same.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS Mojave (10.14), null

Posted on Oct 16, 2018 11:49 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Oct 18, 2018 1:09 AM in response to Loner T

I did that and I still face the same problem.

I see that the Boot camp shows only 49gb free and can allocate only 41gb, even though in finder I can see that over 250gb free.

Ran the following commands in terminal.

> diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 499.9 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: APFS Container Scheme - +499.9 GB disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Mac HD 251.4 GB disk1s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot 36.0 MB disk1s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery 509.5 MB disk1s3

4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk1s4

> diskutil cs list

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

I tried to download the latest boot camp drivers and it kept failing with a message saying that it could not save the same to the USB memory, so went back to the windows 10 creator update and bootcamp 6.0.6136 but still face the same problem.

Oct 19, 2018 11:13 AM in response to Loner T

Here it is, looks like it is similar to first aid, in disk utility.

** Checking the container superblock.

** Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

** Checking the space manager.

** Checking the space manager free queue trees.

** Checking the object map.

** Checking volume.

** Checking the APFS volume superblock.

** The volume Mac HD was formatted by hfs_convert (945.200.129) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.200.129).

** Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

** Checking the snapshot metadata.

** Checking snapshot 1 of 3.

** Checking snapshot 2 of 3.

** Checking snapshot 3 of 3.

** Checking the extent ref tree.

** Checking the fsroot tree.

** Checking volume.

** The volume Preboot was formatted by hfs_convert (945.200.129) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.200.129).

** Checking volume.

** The volume Recovery was formatted by diskmanagementd (945.200.129) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.200.129).

** Checking volume.

** The volume VM was formatted by apfs.util (945.200.129) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.200.129).

** Verifying allocated space.

** Performing deferred repairs.

** The volume /dev/disk1 appears to be OK.

Oct 22, 2018 2:08 AM in response to Loner T

I did that and deleted all the local snapshots and then tried BC and was successfully able to create a bootcamp partition of 100 GB out off the 270 GB available, but when the system rebooted I was greeted with the message

"No bootable Device -- Insert Boot disk and press any key". I could not boot into the windows installer disk nor to the Mac, only way I could boot into Mac OS was holding down the option key while booting and choosing Mac HD, I fired up BC again and removed the bootcamp and now I can boot into Mac but still not much progress with installing windows.

Oct 23, 2018 8:05 AM in response to Loner T

I had created a windows installer and had copied bootcamp version 6.0 which I had used previously without any problems to try installing windows, but after reading your comment I erased the USB flash drive then selected the create and download option for the latest bootcamp drivers and the same problem surfaced with the same message. Again I held down the option key to select Mac HD and logged in and through BCA removed the partition and now I can boot into the system no problem but no bootcamp still.

I checked the support pages and clearly it says the MBP 2012 and later are supported and mine is MBP Mid 2012 (9.1). I don't understand why Apple is making the users jump through hoops like this for a thing which could have been done by a novice till now.

Oct 24, 2018 6:02 AM in response to Loner T

The MD5sum I have posted is not for W10 1803 but for the creator update which is W10 1703. I could not download the BCA drivers for the W10 1803 Iso as the download was throwing an error, so had to switch back to an older Windows 10 ISO. I think Microsoft provides a Verifier for the downloaded Iso, I will check it out in a windows system and post back.

Oct 24, 2018 8:41 AM in response to Loner T

I downloaded the W10 1803 iso and tried downloading the BC drivers twice and both times at the last moment I got an error saying that the download failed. But got no error while using a older W10 1703 iso but the cannot install the same.

A lot of people has posted about the error while downloading BC drivers with W10 1803 on many forums, just like I faced. I have not come across any things from either Microsoft not Apple stating that Mojave works only with W10 1803, I thought Bootcamp works with any W10 64bit. Considering the problems I am facing, I guess that just might be the case.

I always thought that the boot process in Mac is controlled by the bootcamp drivers provided by Apple and not by Windows.

I will create a W10 1803 iso through BCA and copy the latest BCA drivers downloaded while creating the BCA with W10 1703.

Will post with the updates.

Problems with Bootcamp in Mojave.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.