Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no system administrator listed

i am unable to make any changes to my mac as no admin is listed. i have tried going thur Terminal from restore mode and the only account listed was my log in which is not set to admin. I typed in whoami from the command S option and it did not recognize anything

i am at a loss...is there any way to access my system admin information as nothing is listed in the user/account section besides the way i have tried?

i am hoping to avoid a complete restore if at all possible. would appreciate any and all advice. ty.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Oct 18, 2018 4:10 PM

7 replies

Oct 18, 2018 6:05 PM in response to c.d.g.

Hello,

Not sure if this still works, haven't tested in the last few OS versions, but I suspect it still works...

This was Posted by: JoseAranda at September 9, 2006 3:48 AM

"OK, restart your computer, hold down Command-s and type in the following:

/sbin/fsck -fy

press Enter

/sbin/mount -uaw

press Enter

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

press Enter

# The rm command is the remove command which deletes the file.

# Robert: I'd rename the file via: mv /var/db/.applesetupdone /var/db/.applesetupdone.old

reboot

press Enter

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

end of posted by: JoseAranda"

no system administrator listed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.