Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the newest version of OS X that works well with Aperture?

I'm running OS X 10.11.6 and Aperture 3.6. When I upgraded the system to 10.12 Aperture started acting "poorly" and I ended up reinstalling 10.11.6 (a real PIT).
I just saw in a part of this thread the statement that Aperture worked with versions up to 10.13. I have two main questions: 1) was my problem with 10.12 the norm, or something specific to my setup; 2) does 10.13 work better than 10.12; and 3) (I know, I said two, but its three questions) has anyone tried Mojave with Aperture?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2018 9:43 PM

I am even using Aperture on Mojave, but just to format books to save them as a PDF, and for brushed adjustments. It is no longer my primary photo library.

There have been issues reported with Aperture for all system versions since Yosemite. They are different for each each system. You would have to pick the system version where the known issues will be the least annoying for you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2018 9:43 PM in response to Pargus

I am even using Aperture on Mojave, but just to format books to save them as a PDF, and for brushed adjustments. It is no longer my primary photo library.

There have been issues reported with Aperture for all system versions since Yosemite. They are different for each each system. You would have to pick the system version where the known issues will be the least annoying for you.

Oct 29, 2018 6:51 AM in response to léonie

Do you know of a place where those issues are compiled so one can what the tradeoffs are for each system?

I really like Aperture, and curse Apple for dumping it. I've not seen any other program that fits my needs as well, or where it won't be a major effort to transfer my library. I know I've got to do it, but I keep hoping an "better way" will show up before I'm forced to make the move, so am trying to delay as long as is practical.

Oct 29, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Yer_Man

I'd be happy with a lot more than 3 years. 🙂

Basically, I don't really WANT to have to put in the time and effort to research which alternate application works best (for now), guess at which will last "forever" so I don't have to plan on moving yet again, and spend what I'm sure will be many hours transferring the files and getting up to speed with the new application. I'd rather spend that time and effort working with the roughly 61,000 images themselves.

Of course, I understand that what I'd prefer doesn't really matter in this case. The transfer will have to be made. I will be much more cautious about using all the bells and whistles of whatever app I choose in case it is something those bells and whistles are things that won't transfer over to a new platform. Gonna be lots of time wasted by moving from Aperture. For instance, time I've spent putting names to "Faces", something that has proven very helpful in Aperture with the multitude of family pictures, both historical and present, and which as far as I can tell doesn't transfer to any other application.

So, I'm going. But slowly and reluctantly.

Oct 29, 2018 10:04 AM in response to Pargus

For instance, time I've spent putting names to "Faces", something that has proven very helpful in Aperture with the multitude of family pictures, both historical and present, and which as far as I can tell doesn't transfer to any other application

It doesn't. So select a Face and apply a keyword of that name... now you have an eminently transferrable item of metadata which will help group the images as the other end.

As for longevity: well it would seem that Adobe are as safe and secure as any maker in this business...

What is the newest version of OS X that works well with Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.