Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading Chrome and Legacy Apps on IOS 9.3.5

I'm resurrecting this issue because similar threads on Apple forums are incorrect in saying that there is no way to install Chrome or other legacy apps on IOS 9 or older.

I found this option in the Google forums:

Google Groups

1. Install iTunes on a computer and Sync iPad. (I used iTunes 12.6.3 with Windows 7 PC)
  2. Install Chrome (or other legacy apps [Drive, Docs, etc.]) via iTunes onto the iPad.
  3. Wait until Chrome finishes downloading, and unplug the iPad.
  4. Google Chrome will attempt to install but will hang on the iPad.
  5. Delete Chrome from the iPad.
  6. On the iPad, go into the App Store and re-install the app.
  7. You will now be prompted to install the last compatible version of the app.

In my testing, I did not actually need to unplug the iPad mid-install. I simply attempted the installation via iTunes, which failed ("incompatible OS version"), then tried to install it again from the App Store on my iPad 4.

This time, instead of getting a message regarding the OS being outdated, there was a "Cloud with Arrow" icon, and upon clicking it I received the following prompt:
"Download an older version of this app? The current version requires iOS 10.0 or later, but you can download the last compatible version."

The old version would then download, and it functions as well as it can, considering it's outdated.

Honestly, I feel the fact that Apple made this workaround so arduous is sad - they're completely dropping options to legitimate old hardware just to force consumers to buy newer devices. I'm not asking for continued support, I'm just asking for this exact option, but fewer steps.

At any rate, I hope this is helpful to anyone who has an older iPad/iPhone laying around, or who is on a budget and picks up an older device hoping to use it as a basic Google Apps machine.

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5, null

Posted on Oct 19, 2018 11:13 PM

6 replies

Dec 23, 2018 7:19 PM in response to Attila28

I have already, for many years, documented this procedure.

This all still works using iTunes 12.6.5 and can still be installed and used

iTunes 12.6.5 can be found here.

Was updated on Sept. 20, 2018.

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

Here are my three working procedures to get apps for older iDevices running iOS 10.3.3 or iOS 9.3.5 with the same iTunes procedure listed.

If you need older versions of apps that have moved on to iOS 10 and later, tap on my link below and choose the method that best work with your current situation.

CAREFULLY read and follow ALL directions.

All three of my procedures/solutions work!

Downloading Older iOS 9.3.5 Versions of A… - Apple Community

Apps may or may not have older iOS 9.3.5 versions still available from the iOS App Store.

There are three ways to try/attempt to get an older version of an app. Pick the method that works best for your situation/circumstances.

Been posting these procedures for the last three years.

All of them STILL work!

Dec 23, 2018 7:20 PM in response to EdStinton

Here are my three working procedures to get apps for older iDevices running iOS 10.3.3 or iOS 9.3.5 with the same iTunes procedure listed.

If you need older versions of apps that have moved on to iOS 10 and later, tap on my link below and choose the method that best work with your current situation.

Apps may or may not have older iOS 9.3.5 versions still available from the iOS App Store.

There are three ways to try/attempt to get an older version of an app. Pick the method that works best for your situation/circumstances.

All of them STILL work!

Dec 23, 2018 7:23 PM in response to janetsong

All of them STILL work!

Dec 23, 2018 6:59 PM in response to Attila28

What's missed out above is that you need to use an iTunes version 12.6.3 or older.

In my case I uninstalled iTunes/icloud related programs from my laptop and reinstalled an older version, which can still be downloaded from the apple website, the older versions still give access to the appstore.

When using a suitable version of iTunes, follow the steps above.

Dec 23, 2018 7:22 PM in response to Attila28

Chrome will NOT be up to date, at all for iOS 9.3.5.

Here are a few third party web browsers that I know are STILL being updated and supported, currently, on iOS 9.

More popular third party, iOS 9 and earlier compatible Web browsers are more quickly dwindling, now.

Older iOS devices and users had about a dozen popular, well known and secure, third party Web browsers to choode from at one time.

We are down to six, now.

Here’s what’s left.

iCab Mobile Web browser

Dolphin Web browser

Dolphin Incognito Web browser

Snow Bunny Web browser

Private Browsing Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

Good Luck to You!

Downloading Chrome and Legacy Apps on IOS 9.3.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.