Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to record on Garageband since upgrading to macOS Mojave

Hi,

I was recording successfully from my keyboard into Garageband on my Mac via a Focusrite Saffire 6 Interface when I stopped to upgrade to macOS Mojave. Now I cannot get an input signal on Garageband and can't record anymore.

Having checked both System Preferences / Sound and Garageband's Preferences / Audio/Midi they both show the Saffire 6 as the chosen input and output device. System Preferences / Sound / Input shows an input level in Grey (not Blue, is this significant ?) when I play and the input signal shows on the Saffire 6 interface but this does not translate to an input signal on my chosen Garageband track. Pressing the red button to record as normal does not record anything.

I have unplugged and re-connected the USB cable between the Saffire and my Mac and I can play back what is already recorded on Garageband fine through the interface headphones and can monitor the input signal through the headphones too. I just can't record anything on Garageband through the Saffire interface which otherwise seems to be working fine. The Mac is a new 21" model so there shouldn't be any problem there.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Richard

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), Garageband

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 5:54 AM

Richardk48 wrote:

Having checked both System Preferences / Sound and Garageband's Preferences / Audio/Midi they both show the Saffire 6 as the chosen input and output device. System Preferences / Sound / Input shows an input level

there are new security settings in the latest OS that have prevented people from using the internal mic, it might be the same for your interface; check the security settings in System Prefs and make sure GB has permission to use your interface (this is only a guess because none of our machines will have OS updates until current projects are done)

here's a screen shot from another user to give you an idea where to look:

User uploaded file

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2018 5:54 AM in response to Richardk48

Richardk48 wrote:

Having checked both System Preferences / Sound and Garageband's Preferences / Audio/Midi they both show the Saffire 6 as the chosen input and output device. System Preferences / Sound / Input shows an input level

there are new security settings in the latest OS that have prevented people from using the internal mic, it might be the same for your interface; check the security settings in System Prefs and make sure GB has permission to use your interface (this is only a guess because none of our machines will have OS updates until current projects are done)

here's a screen shot from another user to give you an idea where to look:

User uploaded file

Oct 20, 2018 12:34 PM in response to Richardk48

Hey Richard, I had the same issue and spent some time over the course of two days trying to figure what the issue was. The answer here solved this issue for me: GarageBand and Mojave incompatible?

If you go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, then click on the Privacy tab, ensure that you grant permission to GarageBand to use your microphone.

The link above provides a helpful screenshot.

Oct 24, 2018 2:10 AM in response to HangTime

Hi Hangtime

This answer, which was hard to find, has solved the same issue for me.

It is very troubling though as the same philosophy that forces us to give apps access to our privacy in tablets if we want to use an app is now being applied to our pc's.

I hope this move is reversed but I expect it is just beginning of yet more intrusive computing,

All the best

Billybob

Oct 24, 2018 9:07 AM in response to BillyBobGoat

it seems you misunderstood this change...

BillyBobGoat wrote:

It is very troubling though as the same philosophy that forces us to give apps access to our privacy in tablets if we want to use an app is now being applied to our pc's.

the new security setting gives you _more_ not less privacy control.

in previous OS versions you had no control over which apps could use, for example, your mic. now _you_ control which apps can use your mic. if you don't want GB to use your mic, you don't give it permission.

you _do_ want want to use your mic with GB, so _you_ give it permission.

(and you could revoke that permission at any time should you choose to do so)

Oct 25, 2018 2:37 AM in response to HangTime

Hi Hangtime

Thank you for your reply.

In the past you could use applications on your PC with you mic inputting information, i.e. the sound to record the song, so the channel is just one way from the mic the the computer.

Giving apps access to your mic or camera or photos means that the app can look back the other way so to speak and hear everything you say or see everything you do or look through all your photos depending on which access permission you have given. This would only cease if you turn off the permission.

It is effectively giving permission to snoop to the owners of the app, should they wish to do so they can use the mic access you have granted as a "bug" as long as the access remains granted.

It is an extraordinary invasion of privacy and in my view wholly unnecessary.

All the best

Billybob

Oct 25, 2018 11:17 AM in response to BillyBobGoat

BillyBobGoat wrote:

In the past you could use applications on your PC with you mic inputting information, i.e. the sound to record the song, so the channel is just one way from the mic the the computer.

that is the only way the mic works, in the past as well as now.

the mic picks up the sound to record, it is only one way, from the mic to the computer.

BillyBobGoat wrote:

Giving apps access to your mic or camera or photos means that the app can look back the other way so to speak and hear everything you say or see everything you do or look through all your photos

but apps always had this ability, and in previous OS version you had no way to stop it, now you do. this isn't a new ability Apple has given to apps, this is a new ability Apple has given to you to _stop_ apps from "looking back at you"

also worth noting mics always have and always will be able to "hear" everything you say (unless you revoke permission, which you couldn't do in the past, but can do now); that's how mics work

BillyBobGoat wrote:

depending on which access permission you have given. This would only cease if you turn off the permission.

exactly! and you never had the ability to turn off those permissions before, they were _always_ on.

always.

now you can turn them off if you so desire.

BillyBobGoat wrote:

It is effectively giving permission to snoop to the owners of the app, should they wish to do so they can use the mic access you have granted as a "bug" as long as the access remains granted.

no, it is giving you the ability to disallow an app to snoop. in the past apps effectively _always_ had the potential to snoop, now it's under your control.

maybe an analogy would help: imagine a room with a light that's always on, there's no way to turn it off. Apple updates the room and puts a switch on the wall so that you can turn the light on or off at your discretion. Apple hasn't given the light any new abilities they've simply given you the power to turn it off if you wish; the light was always on, now you can turn it off.

Oct 25, 2018 5:05 PM in response to HangTime

Hi HangTime

Thank you for your further comment. We have to agree to differ on this one as I have a completely different understanding of how giving access to your computer has changed how computers operate.

In the past computers were like a tape recorder. You sang a song into it and no one could hear it except whoever you chose to play it to, unless your computer was hacked into illegally and you would use whatever protection you could to avoid this.

Under the "permissions" system on tablets where you give access to apps you are effectively giving the app owners permission to hack you. This is now being extended to PC's. You have no greater protection against covert hackers, you are simply allowing the app owners to hack you

and access your information and data when in the past they could not do so.

It is essentially a bare-faced erosion of privacy.

All the best

Billygoat

Unable to record on Garageband since upgrading to macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.