Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie not importing 60 fps

I recorded this video from my PC using NVIDIA's shadowplay, it is 60 fps at 1080p, but no matter how I import it in using iMovie, it never shows it as 1080p 60, only 1080p. Checked Quicktime inspector, it shows that the original video I recorded is 1080p 60 fps. When I'm done editing and I exported it, it is only 1080p 30 fps. In iMovie setting it never shows the video as 1080p 60, just 1080p. Same with the exporting option. All I did was cutting out about 1 min of the video in the middle. I even used Handbrake to encode the video to 1080p 60fps mp4 file, still the same problem. I called Apple support today, the lady on the phone couldn't figure out the reason either. Is there any way we can fix this? Or is iMovie just not able to edit videos that's not recorded using Apple devices or softwares???

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Oct 20, 2018 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 9:35 AM

Hi, andy,

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps you:

iMovie doesn't recognize my 60 fps video content

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 21, 2018 1:03 PM in response to andydallas

Something that could be causing it is the way iMovie determines the video quality of a project. iMovie takes the quality of the clip that is put into timeline first as the quality of the overall video. What could be happening is if your first clip into the timeline is at 1080p 30 fps, that will be the overall quality regardless of if you put in 1080p 60 fps video or a lower quality clip. The way to fix this is to create a new project and put the 1080p 60 fps video into the timeline first. Then it's just a matter of copying and pasting to restore the video to the way it was. Even if you decide to delete that first clip, iMovie will still retain the quality of the first clip.

Oct 24, 2018 9:15 AM in response to andydallas

Hi, Andy,

When you used Handbrake to encode the 1080p 60fps clip to Mp4, did you check the constant frame rate box? If you didn't, it will encode with a variable frame rate by default. If this applies to your situation I suggest that you again encode your clip with Handbrake, but select the constant frame rate box. Try that even if the Quicktime inspector showed it at 60fps. See if iMovie then correctly recognizes and exports the clip as 60fps.

-- Rich

iMovie not importing 60 fps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.