Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading Final Cut Express for Mojave

trying to open Final Cut Express after upgrading to Mojave. Error Message, Final cut Expres not comatible with Mojave, visit App Store to upgrade. !!! No Final Cut Express upgrade available, instaed they want me to purchase Final Cut Express, for CHF300!!! Any ideas anyone

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 11:08 AM

Unfortunately, Final Cut Express HD was discontinued 7 years ago (June 2011) just before the release of OS X Lion (10.7). At that time the final FCE Update Release was v. 4.0.1 which is also now no longer available from Apple.

Apple released Final Cut Pro X in June 2011 upon the end-of-life of FCE-HD and original FCPro. FCP-X is Apple's current video editing application (in addition to iMovie).

Bottom line, there was never any guarantee that FCE-HD would run on Lion (10.7) or any later version of OS X/macOS. And there was always going come a day when FCE-HD would simply no longer be compatible with some new release of macOS. That day has probably arrived with Mojave.

If you had FCE-HD running successfully on High Sierra (or whatever version of macOS you were running before you upgraded to Mojave), I suggest re-installing that older version of macOS + FCE-HD on an external hard drive and booting from that drive when you want to run FCE-HD.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2018 11:08 AM in response to Eric Dowsett

Unfortunately, Final Cut Express HD was discontinued 7 years ago (June 2011) just before the release of OS X Lion (10.7). At that time the final FCE Update Release was v. 4.0.1 which is also now no longer available from Apple.

Apple released Final Cut Pro X in June 2011 upon the end-of-life of FCE-HD and original FCPro. FCP-X is Apple's current video editing application (in addition to iMovie).

Bottom line, there was never any guarantee that FCE-HD would run on Lion (10.7) or any later version of OS X/macOS. And there was always going come a day when FCE-HD would simply no longer be compatible with some new release of macOS. That day has probably arrived with Mojave.

If you had FCE-HD running successfully on High Sierra (or whatever version of macOS you were running before you upgraded to Mojave), I suggest re-installing that older version of macOS + FCE-HD on an external hard drive and booting from that drive when you want to run FCE-HD.

Nov 13, 2018 12:17 PM in response to Eric Dowsett

I also bought Final Cut Express 4 which was quite expensive and have used it without any problems until I upgraded my OS to Mojava now when I go to update I am expected to purchase a new version of Final Cut This is Bad news for Apple surly there could be something done to make the system function I have only had the Final Cut for a few yearsCan anyone give me some advice please

Dec 14, 2018 1:40 AM in response to dunvegan1815

FCP Express está basado en una arquitectura de 32 bits. Mojave simplemente no es compatible con FCExpress.

En el futuro, Apple pasará a todas las aplicaciones de 64 bits, descartando por completo cualquier posibilidad de que funcionen las aplicaciones de 32 bits.

Para continuar usando FCPExpress use un sistema operativo anterior.

Puede realizar un arranque dual desde una unidad externa o adquirir otra Mac que sea compatible con FCP Express.

Al

Dec 14, 2018 1:45 AM in response to dunvegan1815

What Martin R says is correct.

Mojave is too modern for FCP Express, it is a 32 bit app, not compatible with Mojave I'm afraid.

The next OS after Mojave from Apple will completely move to 64 bit apps.

Mohave does still support some 32 bit apps but it's a dying breed.

You can boot from another drive with a compatible OS or obtain a Mac with compatible OS and don't update beyond High Sierra.

Al

upgrading Final Cut Express for Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.