Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Infinite HD access control to System Events

I installed Mojave yesterday on my MacBook Pro. Now when I boot, I get a pop-up saying Infinite HD wants access control to System Events. I've been denying. Can't find a similar question. Is this needed and/or legitimate? If it isn't legit, how do I remove it? I don't see it in Applications. Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 5:20 AM

I have found references to Octoshape Infinite HD, but nothing that explains why it would suddenly appear with the Mojave upgrade. Since I couldn't find a file or app with Infinite in the name, I did a general search for Octo. I found OctoshapeWeb.plugin, which I removed. Post removal, I didn't expect anything to change on Start and it didn't.

User uploaded file

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2018 5:20 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have found references to Octoshape Infinite HD, but nothing that explains why it would suddenly appear with the Mojave upgrade. Since I couldn't find a file or app with Infinite in the name, I did a general search for Octo. I found OctoshapeWeb.plugin, which I removed. Post removal, I didn't expect anything to change on Start and it didn't.

User uploaded file

Nov 13, 2018 5:30 PM in response to MachelleG

I'm having the same thing happen. I found InfiniteHD shows up on the Activity Monitor. I am not a techie. I selected InfiniteHD and in the "View" menu selected "Selected Processes". This window appears. I found I could also click on the "Parent Process" in the upper left, and a window appears for that process. There is a lot of info, but since I'm not tech savvy, I don't know what to do with it.

User uploaded file

Nov 15, 2018 6:48 AM in response to jerbohr

I used option 3 and manually uninstalled the files:

Mac OS X, there are 3 options:

1. An uninstaller can be found by going to Finder, click on the 'Go' menu, and choose 'Go to Folder'; type in ~/Library/Octoshape and press return.
  2. You can also download the uninstaller for Intel or PowerPC based Mac computers
  3. Manually remove the files:
    1. Open a Terminal window by going to Finder, Applications, Utilities, and opening Terminal
    2. Run the following commands in Terminal:
      rm -rf ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/OctoshapeWeb.pluginrm -rf ~/Library/Octoshape

Oct 21, 2018 6:25 AM in response to MachelleG

Apple has enhanced security in Mojave. Though not limited to AppleScript, whenever one application is attempting to control another application, a dialog will now pop requesting permission to do so.

In your case, that Infinite HD is probably running an AppleScript that is telling System Events to do something on its behalf. If you don't know what Infinite HD is, then deny permission.

Oct 25, 2018 3:23 PM in response to Vailcat

I've never wittingly installed the Infinite HD app. I started getting the same permission request pop-up after upgrading to Mojave. I use LastPass by Logmein. For several months LP would not automatically log me onto any website. LP said this was due to changes at Apple. This was corrected shortly before I downloaded Mojave. I wonder if the LP functions could be mediated by Infinite HD and that is what is triggering the permission request. Could this have anything to do with playing Netflix movies on my computer?

Nov 8, 2018 3:43 PM in response to MachelleG

I also have been experiencing this annoying and concerning pop up since upgrading to OS X Mojave last week. Although I did not knowingly install it, Infinite HD appears to have "installed" itself on my iMac in early 2016 and, as noted by other posters, it has probably been running on boot up ever since, with the changes in Mojave now asking me to give it access to control System Events. I also found an Uninstall app in the Octoshape folder where the Infinite HD app is located. However I'm not sure whether this app is safe to use to uninstall the Infinite app as the Uninstaller also brings up the system warning pop up that it wants access to control System Events. While this may be necessary to uninstall the unwanted app, I'm not sure. Anyone have any further thoughts or info on this and best way to remove it? Also forgot to add that I ran Malwarebytes which did not identify it as malware.

Jan 4, 2019 8:35 AM in response to evo7036

Update: I used option 3 above and was able to get rid of the InfiniteHD pop up window. Thanks MichelleG

Manually remove the files:

1 Open a Terminal window by going to Finder, Applications, Utilities, and opening Terminal

2 Run the following commands in Terminal:

3 rm -rf ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/OctoshapeWeb.pluginrm -rf ~/Library/Octoshape

Infinite HD access control to System Events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.