Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Problems with Mojave

Not sure whether to post this here or in the hardware forums but seeing as I didn't have any issues before upgrading to Mojave I'll post here.

Upgraded to Mojave earlier today using clean install/usb boot installer then had problems with keyboard - made sure was using British layout but some keys just were not working - tried everything I could think of (which as I'm pretty new to Mac's isn't much!) so used Time Machine to go back to High Sierra.

Any suggestions?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), Keyboards

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 10:36 AM

geoffreyc wrote:

Not sure whether to post this here or in the hardware forums but seeing as I didn't have any issues before upgrading to Mojave I'll post here.

Upgraded to Mojave earlier today using clean install/usb boot installer then had problems with keyboard - made sure was using British layout but some keys just were not working - tried everything I could think of (which as I'm pretty new to Mac's isn't much!) so used Time Machine to go back to High Sierra.

Any suggestions?

You have already down graded, trying again you may have better luck the second time around.

Unfortunately you do not say what— "- tried everything I could think of "

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys.

4. Turn on the computer.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2018 10:36 AM in response to geoffreyc

geoffreyc wrote:

Any suggestions?

You have already down graded, trying again you may have better luck the second time around.

Unfortunately you do not say what— "- tried everything I could think of "

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys.

4. Turn on the computer.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Oct 21, 2018 4:27 PM in response to geoffreyc

I too have had problems but with an apple external wired keyboard. Several keys such as the the f9 to f11 and the page up / down keys don't seem to work but work fine on the built in keyboard. A replacement apple external keyboard gave the same results.

Have tried the pram /nvram but made no difference.

Holding out for 10.4.1 to see if that helps

Nov 1, 2018 2:08 PM in response to geoffreyc

I have this problem too using my mac mini. My husband updated on his mac mini server without a problem. I took my mini into the genius bar and they confirmed that my wireless keyboard worked fine on a different machine. As soon as we tested mine, both my wireless keyboard and their wired keyboard began developing ghost keys after a few minutes of use. I first lose vowels. Then the numbers and finally the right side of my keyboard does not register. It's frusterating and bizare.

Apple was good enough to wipe out everything and install a fresh mojave. Overjoyed I took my mac mini home and reinstalled from time capsule like I was instructed. As soon as I did, the problem reappeared. I, like you, am at a loss.

The reset of NVRAM/PRAM did not correct the problem for me. The genius bar people told me that I may need to wait for a future update from apple, or go back to High Sierra. I'd like a different solution but I'm desperate.

Keyboard Problems with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.