Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos being saved to "instagram folder" - why so inconsistent?

i posted a while back about photos no longer being saved to Photos' "Instagram" folder.

in the past, whenever you posted a photo edited on instagram, it would always save it in a separate folder on Photos simply named "Instagram". that's very convenient and helpful to see all your insta photos in one place.

my last saved photo was in november 2017, and then i realised it started saving/working again in june 2018. that's a huge gap, given that i post on insta almost every day.

i have no idea why it suddenly started working again. 😕

but from june 2018 until today it only saves some photos - not all. this is incredibly inconsistent and i just cannot work out what is going on here... 😕

anyone else have the same issue?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2018 7:25 AM

Using an iPhone X, iOS 12.1 - I take photos outside of Instagram and then import them from my library. My assumption was: if I modified the photo in Instagram w/ a filter and/or resized it, that it would save the new version I created. If I didn't do anything, I assumed it would just leave the original photo. I noticed a few weeks ago that my modified pictures have not been saving and am not sure if this is an issue strictly related to importing photos or if taking them with Instagram has the same issue as well. In any case - yes, I'm having the same, or at least a very similar issue. Just this morning I posted a set of 3 photos in one post, and it saved the 2nd one, but not the 1st and 3rd... but that's the first time it's saved any. As a side note, I don't have a folder called "Instagram" anymore... but I would just grab the modified images from the Camera Roll...

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2018 7:25 AM in response to Abstractman23

Using an iPhone X, iOS 12.1 - I take photos outside of Instagram and then import them from my library. My assumption was: if I modified the photo in Instagram w/ a filter and/or resized it, that it would save the new version I created. If I didn't do anything, I assumed it would just leave the original photo. I noticed a few weeks ago that my modified pictures have not been saving and am not sure if this is an issue strictly related to importing photos or if taking them with Instagram has the same issue as well. In any case - yes, I'm having the same, or at least a very similar issue. Just this morning I posted a set of 3 photos in one post, and it saved the 2nd one, but not the 1st and 3rd... but that's the first time it's saved any. As a side note, I don't have a folder called "Instagram" anymore... but I would just grab the modified images from the Camera Roll...

Nov 11, 2018 4:41 AM in response to JSS001

yes if you make changes in instagram, it saves it to your photo library (providing you have this option turned on in instagram). you'll find the instagram edited version next to your original photo in Photos. but sometimes it actually appears at a different place within your sequence. on the odd occasion it has failed to save the edited photo at all.

however only sometimes will it put said edited photo in the "Instagram" folder within Photos on the iMac. that's my main gripe, is that it's very unpredictable which images will actually end up in the instagram folder.

very confusing...

i am on el capitan 10.11.6

the instagram folder is also on my iphone running 12.1. it's there under "my albums".

Nov 11, 2018 5:56 AM in response to Abstractman23

Well... in that case, my situation is consistently worse than yours... because it won't save the photo at all. I clear out my phone's photos fairly often by importing it into "Photos" on my Mac... so it's easy for me to see what's happening on my phone. In my case, Instagram is no longer saving the photo. Not in a special "instagram" folder, not next to the original photo... not in an odd sequence. It's just not saving the photo.

photos being saved to "instagram folder" - why so inconsistent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.