Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Optical Drive no longer recognized.

I have a known good USB SuperDrive (model HL-DT-ST DVDRW
GX50N) that works fine with High Sierra on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. I recently installed Mojave on both and neither will recognize the drive. When connected and a disc is inserted, the "Open Finder" prompt is displayed but if I select Open in Finder, nothing happens. I can eject the disc just fine, just not see it in Finder. It does appear in System Information under both Disc Burning and USB. Same on both machines. I can hook the SuperDrive up to MacBook Pro running High Sierra and all is well with the drive, i.e. I can read and write to the media inserted.

Any ideas? Hopefully operator error and I looked over something simple.

null-OTHER, macOS Mojave (10.14), Apple SuperDrive

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 12:43 PM

It's a known bug in Mojave. It won't display a blank disk. You can still burn to it by creating a burn folder and right clicking on the folder.

Similar questions

3 replies

USB Optical Drive no longer recognized.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.