Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

side chain fails on instrument tracks

Side chain signals do not seem to route correctly to instrument tracks.

1) I created an audio track with content to act as a source (audio 1).

2) I created two new tracks, an audio track (audio 2) and an instrument track.

3) On both new tracks I loaded a compressor and set the side chain to listen to the source (audio 1).

The compressor added to the audio track (audio 2) receives input from the side chain and reacts accordingly. The compressor on the instrument track does not.

Is this a known bug? Is there some nuance about side chain signals and instrument tracks that I've missed?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 7:50 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 23, 2018 9:06 AM in response to deepakaudioholic

Thanks again for trying to help me sort this.

Below is a screenshot of the test case I laid out above. You can see the compressor on the audio track is firing based on the side chain input whereas the identical compressor on the instrument track is not.

As I remarked earlier, I can't recall having encountered this in the past. When I have a bit more time later today I'll try restarting the Mac to see if doing so has an effect.

User uploaded file

Oct 23, 2018 1:27 PM in response to Brian Koppi

Thanks for the screenshot, I think I've spotted the solution.

This isn't a bug I think, you need to load an instrument on the software instrument track to be able to see the compressor working.

Basically I tried two scenarios
one where I removed the instrument plugin - the there wasn't any activity on the gain reduction meter of the compressor.
second where there was a instrument loaded (any software instrument basically), suddenly I see the compressor working.

See if this works for you as well... if it does then I believe its just one of logic's hidden feature. 😀
Cheers,

Oct 23, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Brian Koppi

Have you also set the side input to source (audio 1) on the compressor which is on the instrument track ?
Kindly check and if not then you may have to manually set the side chain key input on both the compressors on both the tracks (which are to be side chain compressed).
I haven't had any issues with side chaining... it should work fine, just cross examine your routings.
Cheers,

Oct 23, 2018 8:23 AM in response to deepakaudioholic

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I gave the compressors on both tracks the exact same settings (including side chain source).

With both compressors open for monitoring during playback only the compressor on the audio track detects the side chain input. The side chain signal therefore seems to be available, it just isn't making it to the plugin on the instrument track.

I've been a Logic user for many years, but I don't recall having encountered this problem before.

Oct 23, 2018 9:06 AM in response to Brian Koppi

Could you share some screenshots of the tracks and the compressor windows, I tried the exact same thing just now - it works for me . . . so not really sure what we may be missing here...it could also be a bug - quite possible!
Alternatively, try the same thing with another instrument track or
instead of using the source track (audio 1) as the input try using a bus and see if it works.

side chain fails on instrument tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.