Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save screenshot to desktop immediately

I use Shift-Command-4 all the time to capture a random area on my screen. It takes seconds before the screenshot appears on the desktop. How can I reduce this time to zero, like before the update? It's really annoying to wait for the screenshot to appear before being able to use it.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Oct 24, 2018 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2018 2:54 AM

I think you can rephrase that (unless I'm missing something):

"You can, sort of"

Press command-shift-5, click Options, uncheck "Show Floating Thumbnail", then close. Now press command-shift-4 and it saves instantaneously.

12 replies

Oct 24, 2018 1:07 AM in response to knsqnt

There is a new feature in Mojave that allows you to quickly edit the screenshot. A thumbnail appears at the bottom right corner of your screen and if you click it you can do a lot of things without opening Preview. This thumbnail goes away on its own after about 5 seconds. I suppose it is this “delay” that you want to get rid of. I am sure it can be done but I am not at my mac right now.

However I think it is a hugely useful addition and I suggest you try clicking on the thumbnail to see what it offers.

Oct 24, 2018 5:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

I think you can rephrase that (unless I'm missing something):

"You can, sort of"

The sort of I was refering to was taking a screenshot of the Screenshot menu.

Press

command-shift-5, click Options, uncheck "Show Floating Thumbnail", then

close. Now press command-shift-4 and it saves instantaneously.

Not on mine it doesn't.

Oct 24, 2018 6:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

Press command-shift-5, click Options, uncheck "Show Floating Thumbnail", then close. Now press command-shift-4 and it saves instantaneously.

Luis, I thought this should work but when I had tried it the other day, the thumbnail didn't show but there was still a delay before the screenshot showed on the desktop so I didn't bother mentioning it. However, I tried it again and most of the time there is no delay.

Oct 24, 2018 7:55 AM in response to knsqnt

Okay, if you are using Command + Shift + 5 for capture screen, Once you select portion of screen.

Hit the "Return button" from the keyboard at the same time. Don't wait for find capture button.

A screenshot will save on previously saved or selected location (Use Options menu to change it on Screenshot dock) automatically.

Hope this help!

Save screenshot to desktop immediately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.