Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone won’t generate passwords since I installed 12.0.1

My iPhone 7 Plus no longer generates unique passwords for me Since I downloaded 12.0.1.

I LOVED that feature. I NEED that feature. 🙂

My autofill IS on in ”Password & Accounts” “Safari“ & “Touch ID & Passcode.”

My “Keychain” is on.

Please HELP!

Posted on Oct 25, 2018 7:58 PM

2 replies

Oct 26, 2018 2:38 PM in response to camfrom43081

Hello camfrom43081,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communtieis. It's my understanding that your passwords aren't generating after recently updating your iPhone 7 Plus. You're right, this is a a great feature and I'm happy to help get it working with you!

The steps and information below can help:

If Safari doesn't autofill your account names, passwords, or credit cards, or doesn't ask to save them to begin with, check the AutoFill and Private Browsing settings on your device.

On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9 or later:

1. Tap Settings > Safari > AutoFill.
  2. For account names and passwords, check that Names and Passwords is on. For credit card information,* check that Credit Cards is turned on.
  3. Open Safari. If the navigation bar in Safari is black or dark instead of white or light gray, turn off Private Browsing. Safari doesn't save account names and passwords when Private Browsing is on.

On Mac with OS X Mavericks 10.9 or later:

1. Choose Safari > Preferences, then click AutoFill.
  2. For account names and passwords, check that you selected "User names and passwords." For credit card information,* check that you selected "Credit cards."
  3. See if Private Browsing is turned on in Yosemite or Mavericks. Safari doesn't save account names and passwords when Private Browsing is on.

User uploaded file

Still need help to autofill your credit-card information?

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap the credit card field in Safari, then tap the "AutoFill Credit Card" option above the keyboard.
  • On your Mac, click a credit card field in Safari to see the message that asks you to choose which credit card to use from your iCloud Keychain.
Get help with iCloud Keychain

Let us know the results. Please include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

Oct 26, 2018 2:58 PM in response to MoonJ.

I appreciate the quick response. But autofill for my personal/ financial info IS working.

It is NOT generating

unique passwords for me.

When you are joining a website and get to the password field, it will generate a strong password that you can use- or you can choose to make up your own password.

It is no longer providing the option for me to use an iPhone generated password.

iphone won’t generate passwords since I installed 12.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.