Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get a restore CD for iBook G4

I bought an old ibook G4 only to find that the System Preferences had been discarded from it Can I get a restore CD?

iBook, iOS 10.3, System has been swept off

Posted on Oct 28, 2018 5:56 AM

7 replies

Oct 30, 2018 12:02 PM in response to mmcraig

The original as-shipped Tiger 10.4 version was machine specific ~ and sported a grey-color label

with part number for use with that model iBook G4. Mine's still in use with my Mid-2005 iBook G4.

Helps to also have a full system clone on FireWire HDD enclosure (with boot-capable chip) as backup

because you can often re-clone a clone, should the original DVD or CD media fail to install due to age.

{These discs are exceedingly rarer now and if you can get an exact match for your build-series model

iBook G4 (the 12-inch vs 14-inch, 1.33/1.42GHz, etc) could set you back much more than $50. USD.}

User uploaded file

Oct 30, 2018 2:39 PM in response to mmcraig

Be wary if the disc is supposed to be full retail installer, it should look like one.

And if the disc was intended for a specific hardware build, it would have part

numbers and have the grey-label with that model and part number on there.

Ask about return policies, too. Once you order something sight-unseen, there

are odd things that may happen. Hopefully you can talk to someone who knows.

And get the correct DVD install media for the Mac. A second disc or a two-disc

set usually had the additional applications (for Leopard 10.5) if not restoring from

original grey-label media. I've seen different ones at 'amazon vendor' sales pages.

PS: an example ~ search results may be spotty depending on how they're worded:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Tiger+10.4+iBook+G4+system+discs+amazon&t=ffab&ia=products

User uploaded file

Oct 30, 2018 9:55 PM in response to mmcraig

Depending on the build model number and year, the software replacement would match

IF you are looking to get original DVD media. ~ Otherwise you could try your luck with the

last upgrade system that had been available for PPC mac (pre-intel) in the universal install

Leopard 10.5.x on DVD. This is more readily available than an original iBook G4 Tiger or

earlier Panther (10.3.x) on CD.

If the $31. was for a retail Leopard 10.5 DVD install-restore disc, then that should work OK.

The more you know, the less daunting or problematic anything may seem. Older hardware

that only runs vintage software should be easy enough. That is, if you had any familiarity.

And if you want to run vintage applications on the system but haven't any, you'd get some.

There's nothing too complicated about this. Once installed, either older Mac OS X can be

able to use free TenFourFox browser; a modern browser courtesy of volunteers at floodgap

is secure and works great. I've three older Macs that have and use this build browser.

If you have any questions, detail them please. Perhaps we can find a match.

User uploaded file

How can I get a restore CD for iBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.