Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking Cursor when booting Windows 10 on bootcamp

Hello, I have a 21.5'' late 2011 iMac with MacOs Sierra 10.12.6.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

This is my problem: my Windows 10 Bootcamp partition stopped booting while i was trying to expand it. It gives me a black screen with a blinking cursor:

User uploaded file

My MacOs is working fine though... also the option to boot on the bootcamp partition is no longer present in the disk selection screen (the one that appears while holding command when powering up the iMac)

I tried to run on a Live Windows installation usb:

"Bootrec.exe /fixMbr",

"Bootrec.exe /fixboot" and

"Bootrec.exe /fixRebuildBcd"

but /fixboot returns me "Access Denied" and "/fixRebuildBcd" it's not working either

This is my mounted EFI Volume tree using these commands from this discussion:Can't resize Macintosh HD partition

The commands:

"sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI"

"sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI"

"ls -lR /Volumes/EFI"

The output:

total 190

-rwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff
96512 30 Ott 13:57 BOOTLOG

drwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff 512 13 Nov
2014 EFI

/Volumes/EFI/EFI:

total 1

drwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff
9 Ago
2016 APPLE

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/APPLE:

total 3

drwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff
2 Feb
2015 CACHES

drwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff
512 13 Nov
2014 EXTENSIONS

drwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff
512 17 Ott 23:27 FIRMWARE

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/APPLE/CACHES:

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS:

total 30722

-rwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff
15729264 30 Ott 15:41 Firmware.scap

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE:

total 16514

-rwxrwxrwx
1 user
staff
8454768 17 Ott 23:27 IM121_004F_00B.scap

I think it's an EFI related problem, can someone help me please?

Thank you

iMac

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 8:45 AM

Similar questions

21 replies

Oct 31, 2018 7:38 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, i'm still trying to resize my bootcamp partition, after that question i did manage to shrink down my mac partition from inside macOS and then fix my mbr with gpt fdisk, but then when i tried to merge the free unallocated space with the bootcamp partition from inside windows (using EaseUs Partition Master) I got stuck at bootup with the blanking cursor, and also my gpt got broken like this:

User uploaded file

i was unable to boot anything (neither macOs and Windows), but I successfully managed to restore the content type of the 2 volumes using internet recovery and this answer macbook - How to fix broken GPT, GUID and unmountable, no type volumes? - Ask Different

and now my MacOs it's booting and it's like the 3 photos in this answer.

My bootcamp partition it's not damaged but it's still stuck on that blanking cursor.

Nov 3, 2018 5:15 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the reply

I extended the Windows partition with GParted but bootrec.exe throws me errors on /fixBoot and /RebuildBcd:

- /fixMbr works,

- /fixBoot "Access denied",

- /RebuildBcd "The requested system device cannot be found"

Tried to find solutions on Internet like this one: https://www.pntbrother.com/fix-bootrec-rebuildbcd-fails-the-requested-system-dev ice-cannot-be-found-windows-10-8-7/ but when I use diskpart to list all the volumes, the EFI Volume is not listed, is this Normal?

By the way windows is now listed on the boot selection screen at startup, i think gparted fixed this:

User uploaded file

and also the blinking cursor is gone but now it throws me a blue screen (sorry my windows installation is in Italian):

User uploaded file

If i try to hit Enter or F8 (it doesn't matter which) it now throws me a different screen:

User uploaded file

from now on, hitting enter or f8 always gives me this last message.

Blinking Cursor when booting Windows 10 on bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.