Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Outgoing server Problem (Mojave)

Just upgraded to Mojave (iMac Late 2013 from 10.9) and now my iCloud account will not send any mail. I can switch to another SMTP (i.e. Google) and the mail will be send. But this is also changing my email address.

1) From the Outgoing Mail Server pulldown I can select iCloud (no change to sending)

2) I tried to Edit the SMTP Server list

as reported by others not all SMTP Servers are listed (iCloud is not)

creating a new one with iCloud specs (I leave the Server blank) does not change anything

3) Using the Connection Doctor - at times (not always) all Servers (IMAP and SMTP) are Green; but sometimes there is no connection to the iCloud SMTP (not even attempted); and sometimes iCloud SMTP is red

4) When selecting outgoing Servers in the pulldown menu (Preferences) - at times the selection can automatically reverted back to NONE - after about 3-5 seconds

5) I am also using my mobile MacBook Air and have no problems with any Mail sending (same accounts of course)

Q: Do I have to delete the iCloud account? Will this make a 'clean' install?

Thank you

Svend

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 12:17 PM

I don't think this is related to your Mojave upgrade; I just started having similar problems on my Sierra iMac as well as my iPhone. It appears others have been having problems starting about 6 hours ago:

https://downdetector.com/status/icloud

39 replies

Oct 30, 2018 1:57 PM in response to svend_milano

I am also having this problem. However, it is only when I use Mail itself on my desktop. (iMac, purchased late 2015). I did the upgrade this morning and ever since, Mail will not send. However, if I go to iCloud, then I can use mail. I can use Google mail, no problem. I checked with Connection Doctor and it shows that the SMTP account is not connecting to the server. I have no trouble receiving incoming mail. Connection Doctor shows the IMAP account as green and confirms a connection to the server. Internet functionality is fine, both in Safari and Chrome. I have 2 other accounts and they are working. Its just Mail.

This is very frustrating.

Oct 30, 2018 3:50 PM in response to ahapplecommunities

Support told me that it is an issue system wide with sending mail over iCloud. It's not a user hardware or software issue. I've been able to receive mail on my iMac and iPhone, but not send. I can send directly from iCloud. They did not know how long it would take to resolve but they did spend a fair amount of time with me to explain it all.

Nov 5, 2018 2:59 PM in response to dishant111

Tried this, but no luck. I can receive mail, but not send, on two accounts of the four I run. I keep re-entering the log in details, but to no effect. Also on my iPad and iPhone, same problem, which when I reset in one case works, but not the other, then fails again. It is as if the system is resetting the SMTP settings so I cannot access the servers and it is doing it across all of the devices, all of which are logged in to my iCloud account. Any solution out there - is Apple listening?

Nov 16, 2018 8:20 PM in response to mheister

It’s been fixed ( for most, myself included )

if you need to send mail, sign into iCloud.com to send from there.

you did not see your mail in iCloud.com? Did you click mail icon?

what do you see? Can you post screenshot?

for some reason they sent from there when server wasn’t working for some of us, myself include.

Dec 28, 2018 3:32 PM in response to svend_milano

A few updates ago I had this problem and Called AppleCare. After I did screen sharing with the tech rep, he recommended that I turn off the iCloud and that worked, for years. Today, I updated to OS X Mojave. I decided to sign into iCloud thinking that the problem had probably been resolved. This afternoon discovered that I can't send outgoing email on my mac or my iPhone. Turned off iCloud and all my emails went to their destination. I hope this keeps working but who knows. I don't store anything of value in the iCloud. I have everything on Time Machine and on thumb drives.

Mail Outgoing server Problem (Mojave)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.